Cellar Craft old vines mencia

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moto-girl

Reaction score
It just arrived! I've never tasted this varietal, but am so looking forward to it. It will be a great suprise. I've looked at the local wine shops hoping to find a bottle, and have had no luck.
Has anyone tried this, what is it like, and what does it compare to?
I plan on starting this next week when myprimary opens up.

never tried it...it is a grape from spain in a region not far from portugal.....let us know how it turns out....question for you (just curious) what led you to try this variety? it is not common...i applaud the endeavor

I like tasting things I've never tried. Beer, wine and food. I'm a rather adventurous sort, I guess. I've also developed a 'crush' on food and wine from Spain after watching the Road Trip series on PBS with Mario Batali and Gwyneth Paltrow. I'll keep you posted on the progress and the tastings.

thanks, i look forward to your report on the wine...i saw part of that tv series as well....i wish i was independently wealthy and then i would tour each wine region for weeks at a time :)

Me too. I would love to take an extended trip in Spain with a neverending supply of cash to taste my way through the whole country. C'mon lottery!

Ok, I finally got this started on Saturday night. The grape pack had a miniscule leak, but I went ahead anyway. All is well and fementing away right now. Smells good. I'll keep you all posted.

I started this kit on the 3rd of May. When you read the description of some of these wines you just HAVE to try them. Here's howGeorge's catalog describes the Old Vines Mencia:

Modern Mencia is likened to Cabernet Franc or Rhone Syrah. Like us, more reviewers note the similarity to Burgundy’s bright, cherry inflected Pinot Noirs. Some even admit that they do not have the words to describe the alluring wine. It is truly compelling and a great discovery! The source vines average 50 years but many have seen 100 harvests. Their tiny yields mean very concentrated flavors. The wine ferments on virgin, crushed, Mencia grapes from the ancient vineyards. We include light toast Hungarian oak cubes to be added post-fermentation. This contributes light toasty and vanilla notes while letting the bright cherry, slate and spice elements dominate the wine.

My only problem will be if I really like the wine I'm screwed because it is a limited release and I won't be able to get another kit. I don't have a definite plan but my January limited editions are still bulk aging so I'll try to get 6 to 8 months bulk aging before bottling.

Wayne

If sure sounds delicious, doesn't it? That description sold me as well. I can't even find a bottle at the store to sample. Ah, it is destined to be a very special wine. ( one that's not given away) ;)

Let us know what you think. It'll be a couple more months before I even start mine.

I just started this kit on 8-12-11. I'm looking forward to reading the postings here as I go along in my process.
I didn't bag my crushed grape pack...I just added them in. This is the first time I've tried it this way. Right now I am just stirring and watching (full bucket almost).
Keep the info coming and I will also.

I started this wine last Thanksgiving. It was my first red kit. I had a split last week and at 9 months old it was really good. At this point it is fruit forward with mainly cherry. It is ever so slightly tart on the finish. I look forward to how it will age.

Latest posts

Back