RJ Spagnols OK who has started their Port and what kind did you get?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Thig I think I will mix it with a immersion blender and a few oz of water.

WAG said:
Hey Tom. Glad to hear that! I have 1/3 pack of dextrose left over from this choc rasp port that got stuck. I will add the remaining to this if you think I should. If it helps. Thanks.

Fwiw. Had a choc rasp last year that stuck. Started a batch of cab and then when I racked it to the carboy I poured the stuck port into the cab primary and after a day it took off.

Ready to bottle this years choc rasp and have bothe the black forest and coffee kits coming.

Also fwiw. I add 500ml of brandy just prior to bottling.

Derek

Log home, Wine room? Can I come for Christmas too? It sounds like a dream. I'll even do the 'exterior illumination'. I am way more experienced at that than wine.

Log home, Wine room? Can I come for Christmas too? It sounds like a dream. I'll even do the 'exterior illumination'. I am way more experienced at that than wine.

From Texas its a long ride but come on over. The wine room by the way is about a third of an unfinished room. Its 2/3's full of flooring and building material because my husbands still has not finished the basement. At this point In not sure he ever will :ft Its not anything fancy....YET:w

Stuck Choc. Rasp Port

Hey Tom. Glad to hear that! I have 1/3 pack of dextrose left over from this choc rasp port that got stuck. I will add the remaining to this if you think I should. If it helps. Thanks.

Wag, My Choc. Rasp Port got stuck @ 1.016 last year. I went ahead and finished it then added 2 bottles of brandy. ABV is about 17% I'll be able to live with that. Going to bottle in October. Bakervinyard

My recollection is that the Choc. Rasp. Port comes with powered oak that is added in the primary. Am I remembering that correctly?

I have about 11 gallons of CRP still aging in carboys. Hmmm, I think they need bottling. I hate bottling.

I ordered the Toasted Caramel Port this time but have not received it yet. I did start my MM La Bodega port this weekend. I have had it for a couple of months, just waiting for things to slow down so I would have time to make it. The beginning SG was 1.100,a little disappointing, I did add the raisen pack last night so that might raise it some. I will probably step feed some sugar to get the abv up some and then add Brandy at the end. I want to end up at 20%.

it`s gonna be a nice port, La Bodego, sampled it at racking, and I added 1.75 liters of ox brandy...it started at 1.104 and ended at .994....I`m thinking about bottling in a month or 2

My recollection is that the Choc. Rasp. Port comes with powered oak that is added in the primary. Am I remembering that correctly?

Your correct Tom, on the powered oak in the primary

caramel port kit

THIG,if you add brandy to this kit ,in the end you'll have a nice liqueur,not what you'll be expecting of this I'm sure.

THIG,if you add brandy to this kit ,in the end you'll have a nice liqueur,not what you'll be expecting of this I'm sure.

More of a liqueur than the coffee port with brandy added?

So Todd, how long have you been aging that CRP?

Since 2011. I'm going to bottle it all this month since we go to Florida for the winter. Actually, I have about 15 carboys aging from 2011; that's late 2011. I need to have a bottling party. That's a lot of bottles. Where does it end? :dg

Oh my goodness! I'm imagining you've got some might fine wine there!

I made the chocolate orange port last year. Started it in Oct and bottled it in Jan 2013. It took longer than I thought to get the SG down to where it needed to be. I stirred the wine a couple of times to see if that helped the process & it seemed to. It helps to be patient, wine sometimes has it's own timeline. I also added 3 cups of brandy to it after I stopped the fermentation. We tasted a bottle last month & it is very good. Great dessert wine. I have about 28 bottles left. I plan to give some out this Christmas, but really want to see how this ages in the next couple of years.

Thig

CAUSE AND EFFECT, when you add the brandy you dilute the wine base and causes it to have more bite, less flavor and thinner at the same time.

CAUSE AND EFFECT, what I would do is add tannins to the secondary, this will add the texture you will need to add to the smoothness then to enhance the caramel flavor should it need it, see if you can by a product called,DaVicci gourmet caramel syrup,add to taste ,NOW you have the whole package without distorting the
structure,at least that's going to be my approach...think out side the box..:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u

I will be doing all three of these kits in tandem very soon on line,,,yours jp:db

CAUSE AND EFFECT, when you add the brandy you dilute the wine base and causes it to have more bite, less flavor and thinner at the same time.

CAUSE AND EFFECT, what I would do is add tannins to the secondary, this will add the texture you will need to add to the smoothness then to enhance the caramel flavor should it need it, see if you can by a product called,DaVicci gourmet caramel syrup,add to taste ,NOW you have the whole package without distorting the
structure,at least that's going to be my approach...think out side the box..:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u

I will be doing all three of these kits in tandem very soon on line,,,yours jp:db

Joe when you make a port, do you fortify?.....if so with what? and do you strive for a specific ABV...so far I made 3 port kits Chocolate Raz, with Brandy added,orange chocolate with grain added... And the La Bodega with Brandy... still new to this hobby...but I added tannins and oaked all of them...Racking next month or so... looking for a tip or 2,hopefully doing the black forest soon.

Pitched the yeast on the Black Forest Port this morning. SG at 1.110.

USA_WineMaker said:
Since 2011. I'm going to bottle it all this month since we go to Florida for the winter. Actually, I have about 15 carboys aging from 2011; that's late 2011. I need to have a bottling party. That's a lot of bottles. Where does it end? :dg

So Todd , your having a bottling party? I'm in.. Just a couple miles from you,Shamong!

It is tricky

Let me see if I can clarify myself I didn't up there in the last thread and yes brandy is used to make a port but what we're making is a wine style port kit and even if you got a bucket of juice and it states that its port wine I can almost guarantee you that it's not is once again wine than a port style there is a big difference, THIG, I didn't mean to cut you short here's what I would do if I was going to make a port wine I mean a real port wine, I would go to the risk public states to work or wine outlet and buy a bottle of Sandman ,or any of the other excellent ports over five years old, that's what I would do ,however the kits we had coming to us are great in every aspect so do let me steer you wrong I enjoy them I win medals with them eye figure great but they are what they are and they are what they're labeled a port wine styled kit .nine do some may argue well port is made from wine that is true but we do not have teaching techniques that they do nor do we for the most part have the time A's and the way they do so what does that leave us leaves us with the kit that we can modify any manner we choose to and that's the great thing, gives us time to think outside the box and if you want to add brandy then by all means add brandy, but if you want to come closer to its report and I have one of these kits in my hand and I will be doing three of them intended next month online .let's just say I had a port kit straight port nothing else what would I do it can't purse I find of the highest alcohol resistant yeast there is an use it once fermentation was done that's when the fun would begin I would then add wine tannin in the secondary at least 2 tablespoons for 3 gallon batch this would be talked about as well as the texture structure of the wine once I got that started then I would add a court of simple syrup in the package RC 212 this would set then start a secondary fermentation or capitalization of wine as it sits once this is completed I would then have to decide how my textures if my texture or mouth feel is where I want to be that I would leave it alone at that point if not then I would consider either adding glycerin or another tablespoon of powdered okay that would be to my preference and taste and texture then once that has macerated and I see what has been accomplished and I take my SG readings I know I want to be around 14 to 15 percent alcohol by volume I would then either add an orange brandy this would now give it a little bit more depth and taste notes, if I didn't want to add the brandy to my taste at this point I might want to think of adding World stand by a product grappa, this is distilled wine and has been around since before brandy and extensively use in the Mediterranean ,now what I have this taste ,and aroma, body, structure and texture,............... I would let it wait about five years and then see what I got............ A the minimum three
each time for all this alcohol. And wood and flavor to masterate and become a port.................... sound good?. That's what I would do:mny

Latest posts

Back