RJ Spagnols OK who has started their Port and what kind did you get?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tess

Reaction score
Just orderd the Black Forest Port anyone making this one this year. Im excited about this one. Seems so much easier then trying to make Choc covered cherry wine!! Although at some point Im sure I'll try that too lol. Second one I have ordered this year. I need to stop or buy more Carboys :)

"I need to stop or buy more Carboys."

No Tess, you need to "slow down and buy more carboys."

The only "Port" I made was using Brunello as a base and adding brandy and sugar to 20% ABV and SG 1.030. I only made a few bottles from a Brunello batch that I was unhappy with and trying to find alternatives. I have not opened any yet but it sure was good when I bottled it.

I just added the sugar to the the fermented must in my chocolate raspberry port kit. My plan is to hand them out around christmas but i think they will be too young at that time. We shall see.

"I need to stop or buy more Carboys."

No Tess, you need to "slow down and buy more carboys."

The only "Port" I made was using Brunello as a base and adding brandy and sugar to 20% ABV and SG 1.030. I only made a few bottles from a Brunello batch that I was unhappy with and trying to find alternatives. I have not opened any yet but it sure was good when I bottled it.

:) I cant stop myself!!! I love Brunello and that's the one I have not made yet. Butttt, it is in my cart. I would have gotten it for sure If I hadnt read the description of the black forest. I need to get it so it can age!! I go insane. Some one mentions how good something is and I have to have it. You should see my online shopping carts!...I need therapy!!! :)

I just added the sugar to the the fermented must in my chocolate raspberry port kit. My plan is to hand them out around christmas but i think they will be too young at that time. We shall see.

Well I was thinking this Christmas would be to early too but you dont know my family (Sighhhhhh)I have the big family Christmas dinner/party at my house every year.
I got the Log home and i never realized it would become law to have the Christmas here every year.
When you have a big log home and the 14 foot Christmas tree its your Job to not only decorate it all but to invite the world over at Christmas.
My family has already discovered my wine room. When they all get here they will descend on it like locusts on a bean field.
If I don't have something amazingly sweet and Christmasy, I will never hear the end of it.
It had all better be bottled with pretty Christmas labels too. None of them are real wine drinker, they just like my sweet kits.
I could throw sugar, chocolate, a bottle of vodka and top it off with a couple chocolate covered cherries and they would Ew and Aw over it. I always made lemoncello but not this year!!
Of course I will love all the praise!! I was just down there checking on my watermelon Merlot and imagining it.
I was like Clark W Griswald ( Christmas vacation) looking out his back window and imagining his new pool :) I was literally standing there string into space!! My husband snapped me out of it when he poked his head in with (We gonna have a sandwich or what? My belly buttons laying up against my back done"
Yeah and hes all mine!! :) I wont tell you what I was imagining while I was slapping his sandwich together ::

You know, I have quickly come to realize I make more wine for everyone else then I do myself. OMG!!! Im addicted to the praise!!! Is there anything about this hobby thats not addicting :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tess, I've also ordered the Black Forrest Port this year. In fact, I ordered two kits -- thought I'd make a double dose. They are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Not quite sure when I'll put them in primary. I don't plan to give them out until Christmas of 2014. This year's have been in bulk aging since last Thanksgiving. Those are a WE Chocolate Raspberry Port and the RJS Apple Titan Port.

As for therapy . . . I'm a psychotherapist. Give me a call and we'll set up an appointment. But I'll warn you, from what I can tell, you and I see the world through the same eyes. So, it might be a useless effort.

Well I was thinking this Christmas would be to early too but you dont know my family (Sighhhhhh)I have the big family Christmas dinner/party at my house every year.
I got the Log home and i never realized it would become law to have the Christmas here every year.
When you have a big log home and the 14 foot Christmas tree its your Job to not only decorate it all but to invite the world over at Christmas.
My family has already discovered my wine room. When they all get here they will descend on it like locusts on a bean field.
If I don't have something amazingly sweet and Christmasy, I will never hear the end of it.
It had all better be bottled with pretty Christmas labels too. None of them are real wine drinker, they just like my sweet kits.
I could throw sugar, chocolate, a bottle of vodka and top it off with a couple chocolate covered cherries and they would Ew and Aw over it. I always made lemoncello but not this year!!
Of course I will love all the praise!! I was just down there checking on my watermelon Merlot and imagining it.
I was like Clark W Griswald ( Christmas vacation) looking out his back window and imagining his new pool :) I was literally standing there string into space!! My husband snapped me out of it when he poked his head in with (We gonna have a sandwich or what? My belly buttons laying up against my back done"
Yeah and hes all mine!! :) I wont tell you what I was imagining while I was slapping his sandwich together ::

I made homemade baileys from i think food.com. That would be a great addition to your christmas gathering as well

I made the choc raspberry port 3 years ago Christmas. I have about 5 of the original 30 bottles left. I haven't tried one since last Christmas (2-year mark).

Your choc raspberry port should be OK by this Christmas but much better by Christmas, 2014. Be sure to keep it warm (76 to 80F) during fermentation. It has a tendency to stop fermenting around 1.010 to 1.005. The extra warmth will keep it going as long as possible but don't be surprised if it stops early.

Do top off with plain brandy. Make sure you have added at least one full bottle of brandy before you bottle it; 2 bottles are even better but not totally necessary. (Some add 4 bottles to get the ABV up into the true port range.)

Tess, I've also ordered the Black Forrest Port this year. In fact, I ordered two kits -- thought I'd make a double dose. They are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Not quite sure when I'll put them in primary. I don't plan to give them out until Christmas of 2014. This year's have been in bulk aging since last Thanksgiving. Those are a WE Chocolate Raspberry Port and the RJS Apple Titan Port.

As for therapy . . . I'm a psychotherapist. Give me a call and we'll set up an appointment. But I'll warn you, from what I can tell, you and I see the world through the same eyes. So, it might be a useless effort.

:) that would be like the blind leading the blind in this case!! I know, I really would like to age it. Maybe I will buy another one and let that one age. OMG!! See!! :)
if one taste like my family will love it (I know them) I will serve one and age one. that or settle for the vodka idea lol

I made homemade baileys from i think food.com. That would be a great addition to your christmas gathering as well

Iv heard of that one. You know what? I might just do that this year. I got into this wine thing a little late for this Christmas. You may have saved my Christmas Party. thanks :snw

I made the choc raspberry port 3 years ago Christmas. I have about 5 of the original 30 bottles left. I haven't tried one since last Christmas (2-year mark).

Your choc raspberry port should be OK by this Christmas but much better by Christmas, 2014. Be sure to keep it warm (76 to 80F) during fermentation. It has a tendency to stop fermenting around 1.010 to 1.005. The extra warmth will keep it going as long as possible but don't be surprised if it stops early.

Do top off with plain brandy. Make sure you have added at least one full bottle of brandy before you bottle it; 2 bottles are even better but not totally necessary. (Some add 4 bottles to get the ABV up into the true port range.)

Thanks Robie for the tips. I need them all. My first port. I have a brew belt. Its cool in my basement I will use it

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered the Toasted Caramel Port this time but have not received it yet. I did start my MM La Bodega port this weekend. I have had it for a couple of months, just waiting for things to slow down so I would have time to make it. The beginning SG was 1.100,a little disappointing, I did add the raisen pack last night so that might raise it some. I will probably step feed some sugar to get the abv up some and then add Brandy at the end. I want to end up at 20%.

I ordered the Toasted Caramel Port this time but have not received it yet. I did start my MM La Bodega port this weekend. I have had it for a couple of months, just waiting for things to slow down so I would have time to make it. The beginning SG was 1.100,a little disappointing, I did add the raisen pack last night so that might raise it some. I will probably step feed some sugar to get the abv up some and then add Brandy at the end. I want to end up at 20%.

that is the other one that I got. That what I was wondering. They probably allow for tall that brandy at the end

I ordered the Black Forest and a friend of mine is making the toasted caramel. We plan to exchange several bottles, as neither one of us could decide which one to do. Sadly, mine hasn't shipped yet. :(

How much did you add?

My chocolate orange port was shipped Friday, I put off my RJS Winery Series Merlot until I start my port :-{ So I also ordered a Brute 10-Gal Trash Can from Amazon as my number 2 primary. Good price $15. I plan to fortify my port with Cointreau.

I received my Black Forest port today. Gonna start soon. No dextrose to add?? I wonder how this will turn out? I'm on my 3rd choc rasp port kit( goy stuck at 1.030). Any thoughts on no dextrose?

well I hope well. Its not cheap by any means!! Let me know

WAG, I've only made one other RJS Port kit. That was the Apple Tatin White Port. I've made it twice, now. That kit did not include additional sugar. Both times I chapitalized it myself with 2 lbs of dextrose I got from my LHBS. I mixed the sugar into a simple syrup and added it when the SG got to around 1.050. I also added 750 ml of brandy to boost the ABV as well. Both of the batches I've made turned out to be a little over 19% ABV.

Hey Tom. Glad to hear that! I have 1/3 pack of dextrose left over from this choc rasp port that got stuck. I will add the remaining to this if you think I should. If it helps. Thanks.

Just read my chocolate orange port directions and it said not to add any water. I guess I will mix the bentonite with the must?

Just read my chocolate orange port directions and it said not to add any water. I guess I will mix the bentonite with the must?

They probably mean to top up or to increase the volume. I think I would use water for the bentonite, I don't think a few ounces would hurt.

Back