Ok, really.... which to you recommend?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoiledRotten

Reaction score
Ok, really.... which do you recommend?

I know that the Italian floor corker is more expensive and has the brass whatever the thing is called, but is it really worth twice as much as the Portuguese corker where you can replace those nylon whatever the things are called for about 12.00?
There is a little difference in the handle length of the Italian corker and it's a tad bit taller, but really, is it worth TWICE as much?

My wife is fixing to order one for me to put under the Christmas tree, so I need to see what you guys/gals honestly think.

Last edited:
I have the Italian, but I was able to acquire it for only $50, used. It is nice but really, no more corks than most of us will pop in, it is as they say, "Six of one, half-dozen" of the other, especially for the price difference.

Had I been required to pay the full price, I would not have the Italian. You know the difference in the corkers already, so it is just a judgment call by you.

I have the Portugese corker. It works great, but have only used natural corks in it. Think I have read where you should not use the synthetic corks in it, but also think lots of people on here do. I do know the Port. one is far far better than the plastic beat the cork in hand one I had. Actually have. I don't think anybody could buy the hand one from me unles I really really didn't like him. Arne.

I was willing to pay the extra for the Italian and I love it. I use the bi-disc corks and it doesn't leave any marks. Some friends of mine have the Portugese and when they use the synthetic corks, it leaves a detent. However, for all I know, my Italian might do the same with synthetic corks. Just an observation. Hey, your name is "Spoiled Rotten". Get the Italian!!

personal experience....and for discussion purposes...i use only natural cork from Ganau.......i have owned both types and put thousands thru each....no difference...none, nada....i thought i would be happier w the italian one after my portoguese failed...in due time it had the very same issues....lubed up ..adjusted....no matter...had the replacement parts ordered locally but they took forever to arrive so last time i needed a floor corker i just ordered 2 ports....

+ (whatever) on the Port Floor Corker. No problems with agglomerate or the 1+1 custom corks I have.

Always interested in a good Italian Cork Soaker though........ :)

If you can find the wine coloured Portuguese one ( Excelvin) rather than the red one, get it - it is much better built and they used to be the same price ($55 or so)

Thanks all! I ordered the Excelvin Burgundy Floor Corker. It seems to be in between the red and the Italian. That should serve me well. $92.00 shipped.

Thanks all! I ordered the Excelvin Burgundy Floor Corker. It seems to be in between the red and the Italian. That should serve me well. $92.00 shipped.

Beats the heck out of a hand corker!!! :r
You will be happy with it.

My Port it starting to fail so I got the replacement set of nylon iris's and they are way different and dont work.

Al that is an interesting rating. I know someone that bottles as much as me and last he traded up from the port to the Italian and said he loves it a lot more as it has better laverage.

I love my port and have bottles thousands of bottles with it and it's still like new. Floks complain about rust with both corkers. This is basically from using sanitizer made with kmeta. I only use alcohol on my corker and bottling nozzel to avoid any corrosion.

I have the Italian model and it is great. It has some type of plated iris which I understand is plated brass. I take a lot of care in cleaning it after each use to make sure that there is no K-meta on the unit. I am sure the Portugese model works well but my experience with nylon when I was a manufacturing engineer was not good. It tends to dry and crack and as corkers are used only occasionally, that could be an issue. Incidentally, about 15 years ago or so I had another Italian model that was a much better design and construction. The newer model has been "cheapened" somewhat by the use of tubular steel and screws vs. welded steel bar stock.

Al that is an interesting rating. I know someone that bottles as much as me and last he traded up from the port to the Italian and said he loves it a lot more as it has better laverage.

I love my port and have bottles thousands of bottles with it and it's still like new. Floks complain about rust with both corkers. This is basically from using sanitizer made with kmeta. I only use alcohol on my corker and bottling nozzel to avoid any corrosion.

i think it isnt the leverage that he likes...it is that the start of the procedure leaves you not bent over to reach the port...in the final analysis, i think because you are more bent over at the start of using the port that in fact *it* has better leverage...just an opinion and regardless, once the alignment goes it is dimple time and broken edges on the cork

Back