Ohio Winemaker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3blindmice

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first attempt at making wine. A friend allowed me to harvest all his catawba grapes. A have a three gallon carboy of wine that has been racked once and about 3 months old.

I tasted it several weeks ago and it was very bitter. I know I need to sweeten it but am scared to take the next step! Is it time to bottle it? How do I know if it is any good? I guess I would like to make contact with a local home winemaker who has a lot of experience. I live about an hour north of Dayton, OH.

John

can you tell us from the beginning what you did when you started this batch of wine

sept 5

picked catawba grapes from bill’s place. three plants yielded 46 lbs of de-stemmed grapes or 7 1/2 gallons.

mashed grapes with a potato masher and made 5 gallons of must same day

Must

brix 17
sg 1.070
potential alc 9%
ta .8
ph ?
temp 67 degrees f

added 1/4 teaspon sulfites and let sit overnight.

sept 6

next morning added redstar pasteur champagne packet of yeast and 35 oz of sugar or 2.1 lbs. shooting for 12.5% finished alcohol

turned must over 3 times daily to keep everything moist

sept 9

used leo oen’s apple press and some cheese cloth and pressed fermenting must. made about 4 gallons

put into 5 gallon carboy and plugged the top with an s shaped vent

sept 26

racked wine into a 3 gallon carboy and capped with vent

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. We have several members in the central Ohio area.

Welcome to the forum! Always good to have another Buckeye on line - I live about 45 min north of Dayton. Enjoy the forum!

Welcome to the forum
It really shows that you take very good notes - keep up the good work

thanks steve

Welcome to WineMakingTalk

I think you are doing fine. Potential alcohol of 12% is good for catawba and acid is good, you should not have to worry to much about wine crystals. If your sg is lower than 1.000 then you should add k meta and sorbete and then backsweeten to your liking. I would take a Catawba to about 1.004 as a start.

A first attempt for some must be easier than a first attempt for others ...
... sounds like you are doing well with this batch.

Detailed notes are Really going to help you perfect your wines, do keep that up!
I'm on my first batch also but started with just 4.5 gal of blackberries ...

You'll love this forum, great folks, great hobby!
Welcome!!

You know if it smells good, it is probably time for a little taste. You should taste a little along the way so you know how your wine is progressing. Be forwarned, at the .99 whatever S.G. itwill taste very dry. After tasting, put a little sugar in and have another sip. It will most likely make it a little better unless you like a very dry wine. Good luck with it, Arne. By the way, if you can't tell, I believe in tasting as the wine goes along. Lol, Arne.

I believe in tasting as the wine goes along. Lol, Arne.

This is good news ... I'm glad it's not frowned upon,'cause I'm going to do it anyway ... :)

Hey John....welcome to the forum from s.e.Ohio! It sounds has though you are on your way to a successful first batch. Do you have an idea for your second batch?....I doubt that it will be far off. Folks here offer invaluable advice along the way.

Hello all,

This is my first attempt at making wine. A friend allowed me to harvest all his catawba grapes. A have a three gallon carboy of wine that has been racked once and about 3 months old.

I tasted it several weeks ago and it was very bitter. I know I need to sweeten it but am scared to take the next step! Is it time to bottle it? How do I know if it is any good? I guess I would like to make contact with a local home winemaker who has a lot of experience. I live about an hour north of Dayton, OH.

John

Welcome to the forum John. I'm about 40 minutes south of Dayton. Your first sounds like it is on track so good luck with it and if you have any more questions just ask on the board and someone, (many) will help you.

Hey John....welcome to the forum from s.e.Ohio! It sounds has though you are on your way to a successful first batch. Do you have an idea for your second batch?....I doubt that it will be far off. Folks here offer invaluable advice along the way.

I have access to catawba's for a few years. I plan on putting out some chambourcin in the spring and wanted to ask the group about that. I also have 4 acres of berries including black raspberries, red raspberries, blue berries, and goose berries. We'll see how this first batch goes.

Latest posts

Back