Ohh No! I crossed the Stream. oops Strain:)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rube-a-Billy

Reaction score
Ok little ghostbuster humor (very little).
Well i decided to try to put my lemon trees to work and make some hard lemonade. getting this one going is a common issue due to the acids etc. And i don't have all the tools to check ph etc.

well i started off with RS Premier Cuvee, stalled out of the gate, after 2 days i did another yeast starter and added some of the must per the tutorial seemed to be starting so i added the rest to the must. let me tell you this PC-PV is a mild ferment compared to the EC-1118.
2 days later i was starting a batch of Grapefruit wine, free juice (another tree). well i got home from work and had a (don't tell my wine)couple of beers. went to the wine cave and not thinking added the EC-1118 to the lemon instead of he grapefruit.
smiley18.gif
smiley35.gif

let me tell you this thing went from 1.070 to 1.020 in WOW 2 days.

Now the question is what in the heck am i going to end up with?!?!?!
it's an experiment anyway so i'm not all that heartbroken just curious what this strain crossing will bring???

Any Guesses??

rube

Hard to say.

I would continue to finish brewing and when finished send a bottle to; Tepe, Wade, Appleman and Joeswine. We will forward what we think... LOL !
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

You should be fine.
smiley20.gif

rube,
please be careful while around the primary bucket after doing this. There was another guy once who crossed those two strains of yeast. Now all that is left to him are two "stains" on the walls. It seems some sort of space/time portal opened up , an alien stepped out and slurped him up with such force that he popped and splatted a bit on the walls. The alien stepped back and that was the end of him.
smiley36.gif

Seriously nothing will happen, the flavor profile will just be different than it would have been because the two strains behave differently as you noted. I am sure the EC-1118 took over so it will be more like a wine made from that.

appleman said:
rube,
please be careful while around the primary bucket after doing this. There was another guy once who crossed those two strains of yeast. Now all that is left to him are two "stains" on the walls. It seems some sort of space/time portal opened up , an alien stepped out and slurped him up with such force that he popped and splatted a bit on the walls. The alien stepped back and that was the end of him.
problem solved I shall send swmbo in to continue to check on this batch
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

smiley36.gif

Seriously nothing will happen, the flavor profile will just be different than it would have been because the two strains behave differently as you noted. I am sure the EC-1118 took over so it will be more like a wine made from that.

Thanks,
I shall continue to monitor this one it was just crazy how it looked like nothing was happening I had to go away for the night for work and the next day BAAAMMM the sg fell like crazy. anyone need some lemons come on over. i have not had lemons for 2 years due to some cold spells, now this year the tree is soo full it almost looks sick the branches are sagging soooo much. I juiced 5 gallons of grapefruit, and 5 of lemons a couple weeks ago and the rinds alone almost filled a 32 gallon garbage can. the Jack Lalanne juicer had quite the workout!!!

Rube,

I never considered making wine from lemons or grapefruit. But I live in a huge citrus growing area. There's people selling citrus from the backs of pick-ups and pick-your-own places all over down here. I'd be interested in your recipe.

Ken

K&GB
as for grapefruit
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques20.asp
Well let me tell you first that these are all works in progress. however i did make a 1 gallon batch of the GRAPEFRUIT WINE (Dry) (1) last year and had wished i had made a 10 gallon batch. It was not a true wine tasting beverage more like a champaign and grapefruit juice meets Vodka and Grapefruit. light refreshing and great for an AZ summer. it will take some sweetning on the back end, but worth the experiment. this year i'm goofing around with adding a little more juice etc. different yeasts etc. i will share if they are worth it. i did a orange that @ 6 months not worth sharing, but most posts say it will take at least a year. so patience it is.
as for lemons.
http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=32683&hl=lemon
I'm giving this a go. i may still try a wine from jack, i have plenty to go around
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques48.asp

If anyone has any citrus success please share:)

Latest posts

Back