Oh the things we do for wine..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coaster

Reaction score
I used the dresser for a while until I needed more room after the holiday shopping spree. Made the new shelf out of scrap and I am a novice wood worker so there are things i should have done differently but I like it for now, although it is a bit big.
20070201_182455_IMG_0198.JPG

20070201_182537_IMG_0195.JPG

I am one for recycling.... leaves you more cash to buy more wine and wine supplies
smiley2.gif
JC

Hey Coaster,

Looking good! Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder! What ever works for you. I started with a plastic folding table and a 3 drawer metal cabinet I got from the Navy (I'm Air Force, and they were selling some junk from their side of the base in Japan :>) Whatever works!

Hi Coaster,

why do you have the carboys covered with cloth.

I did something like that to keep the light off one of my carboys
during secondary fermenting. I needed a light on it to keep it warm
but didn't want a bright light shining on it 24 hours a day.
Not sure if that helps but........

EastCoast

I keep the carboys on the dresser covered with boxes and the ones on the shelf covered with towels to keep the light out and provide a tiny bit of insulation. I've heard that light can cause a wine to fade, particularly some of the darker ones like the black current I am doing.

I have some carboy covers I got but I want to take them to a seamstress and get pockets and zippers installed.Edited by: Coaster

Coaster....I think you have something there......maybe want to patent
that idea......

Carboy "warmer/cover" with pockets !!! A neat place to keep your
wine notes for each batch

Coaster, looks good! Zippers and pocket does sound like a neat thing too!

I like the shelving coaster. Like you, I've had to use a corner of a room. I wish I had my own cellar to work in, but have to make due with what I have.

My wife sewed me up some carboy covers last week.

20070202_125831_P2010002.JPG

She also found some thin vinyl material, which she used to sew pockets onto the carboys. The pockets fit a 3x5 card. On the front of the card I write the type of wine and on the back I jot down notes. I have a journal, but the cards make it real easy to take notes while you're working. Later on I can sit and transfernotes to the computer.
20070202_125922_P2010003.JPG

Those are nice. I dropped the covers off today, she said a couple of weeks.

Back