Oaking . oak types

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly*guy

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a list of oak types and what there effect is on a wine as far as flavors are concerned?
Anyone have something lick this?

I saw a perfect description of the taste profilessomewhere on this forum, I think Vcasey posted it (but i'm not sure).

Anyways.... In short form

Light toast= lighter flavor, hints of coconut, oak, fruitand vanilla
Medium toast= honey, nuts, spices, stronger vanillaand a hint of coffee.
Heavy toast= Coffee, spices, and toast

American oak is a little stronger then French oak. Hungarian is somewhere in the middle.

Hope this helps...

If I could only have one oak in my arsenal of wine making supplies it would be the Hungarian medium toast. I love it

Don't remember where I found this:

Oak derived flavors and aromas.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Heavy Toast contributes caramelized, smoky, burnt and toast flavors

Heavy toast French oak imparts cinnamon, ginger and clove with undertones of crème brulee, bitter cocoa, charcoal and roast coffee character. French oak often develops a very cedary aroma.

Heavy toast American oak imparts a heavy campfire/roasted coffee note with a strong vanilla signature

Heavy toast Hungarian oak impart a heavy vanilla note with spicy, molasses undertones

Medium Plus Toast imparts aromas of honey, roasted nuts, toasted bread, and baking spices. They lack the black spice and char tones of heavy toast yet remain very assertive.

Medium Toast imparts more spicy, woodsy tones to the wine and the effects are perceived more easily on the nose then on the palate.

Medium toast French oak imparts cigar box, cedary, creamy tones to the wine with toasty notes

Medium toast American oak imparts cafe au lait and coconut tones with a strong vanilla signature

Medium toast Hungarian oak imparts a vanilla note with spicy, earthy undertones

Light Toast raw wood, coconut and dill

Light toast French oak imparts notes of vanilla, raw wood shavings and sweet caramel notes

Light toast American oak imparts coconut and dill notes with raw wood tones

Light toast Hungarian oak imparts a light vanilla note with spicy, herbal undertones

Aromas associated with oak

HERBACEOUS: Weedy, Dill, Mown Hay, Menthol, Grass, Tobacco.
WOODY: Cedar, Sawdust, Pencil Shavings, Sappy, Green, Pine, Tar, Resin.
SPICY: Clove, Cinnamon, Coconut, Vanilla.

Aromas that can develop in oak during the toasting process.

SMOKY: Barbecue, Wood Smoke, Burnt Sugar.
SWEET: Brown sugar, Barbeque Sauce, Maple Syrup, Butterscotch, Molasses, Honey, Toffee, Marshmallow,
CREAMY: Lactic, Butter. Cream
YEASTY: Popcorn, Cookie Dough. Baked Pastry Dough

ROASTED:, Graham Cracker, Toasted Bread, Coffee, Cereal, Caramel
NUTTY: Hazelnut, Walnut, Almond,
SPICY: Nutmeg, Dried Ginger, Cigar Box

Latest posts

Back