Oak cubes vs spirals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note that the oak sold for winemaking is toasted to a specific degree. It is the combination of the type of oak and the toasting that contributes positively to the taste of the wine. I doubt the oak supplied for BBQ purposes is toasted at all and probably does not indicate the variety and/or source of the oak. Considering the amount of oak inputs I use, I'm okay with spending a few dollars to get the impact I am striving for in the wine. As far as cubes vs. spirals . . . I use both simultaneously. I break the spirals into thirds and use them in combination with 1-2 oz. of cubes. That way I can increase the oak incrementally over time and blend in different varieties (Amer vs French) and different toast levels.

All that being said, I currently have about 5 LBs of split cherry wood hanging in a mesh bag outdoors to dry so that I can toast it myself and have the opportunity to add some local flavor to upcoming batches. The wood has been air drying for almost a year now and should be ready to toast this fall. It's always fun to experiment.

World_Cooperage_Wood_Toast.jpg

Toasting your own gives you fine control over the flavors you impart. You don't evwn have to use just one toast... You could toast some at 240. And some at 390. And then some at 480. And put in various amounts of each.

If you do a bit of searching you can find any specific wood your heart desires, and in a quantity that you don't need to find it again for the foreseeable future.

World_Cooperage_Wood_Toast.jpg

Toasting your own gives you fine control over the flavors you impart. You don't evwn have to use just one toast... You could toast some at 240. And some at 390. And then some at 480. And put in various amounts of each.

If you do a bit of searching you can find any specific wood your heart desires, and in a quantity that you don't need to find it again for the foreseeable future.
Never seen this chart before! Very useful! Ty.

Back