Vineco Amarone kit - which oak chips to use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduthie

Junior
Reaction score
First time making a red. This kit includes 2 oak packets:
1 - Oak Chips Med/Hvy Blend, suggested to add at day 1
2 - Oak Cubes French, suggested to add at day 15
Directions say to use one or the other, with no comments on the impact on the wine.

I'm just looking for comments and recommendations from those who have used one or the other.

The chips will give up their tannins quickly. That is what you want since they will get thrown away at the first racking. The cubes will give up their tannins slowly over the next 3 months. I would use both at the times they are recommended.

Specifically, the chips provide tannins, sacrificially, to allow the tannins in the juice to stay in the wine, and not precipitate out as lees.

This is the Vineco kit. I took another look at the directions, and they show using both additions. A bit of a misunderstanding on my part. I am just wanting to avoid an over-oaked wine. (If there even is such a thing).

Again, this is my first red wine kit, and I really want to get it right

This is the Vineco kit. I took another look at the directions, and they show using both additions. A bit of a misunderstanding on my part. I am just wanting to avoid an over-oaked wine. (If there even is such a thing).

Again, this is my first red wine kit, and I really want to get it right
And yes you can over oak, keep in mind it’s all subjective to one’s taste

This is now in the fermenter. OG 1.079, Oak chips are in. 1 packet rc-212 + 1 packet e-1118. Following kit directions. Temperature controlled at 72 degrees. "Let the adventure begin"

Back