Oak cubes and an old barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireguy94

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So this year was my first time making wine. I've made beer for a couple years now so I understood the basics in terms of sanitation and yeast. 2 neighbours and I made about 90 gal of pressed wine. A friend who makes wine gave me an old 225L wine barrel that he didn't need anymore. Said it was dead but would still be good for aging in. The rest of the wine that didn't fit in the barrel makes up about 4, 6 gal carboys. I just bought a pound of french oak chips and after doing some reading it doesn't look like its nearly enough for the oak barrel. They were pricey so I don't want to buy more. Should I toss them in the barrel or divide them between the carboys. What is as standard ratio of oak cubes to litres or gallons if there is one.

Matt

fireguy, I would say you made some wine there! By my calcuations you are talking about just under 85 gallons of wine. You have enough oak for between 30 and 50 gallons of wine, depending on how much oak you like. The recommended amount of oak is 2-3 oz per 6 gallons of wine. I think you need another 1 lb bag, but then again, I like a lot of oak.

Matt, Mike raises a great question. My response assumed oak cubes, not chips. In you post you mention both cubes and chips but since you said they were "pricey" I am assuming you have cubes.

What is wrong with the chips?

Chips are for fermentation , not ageing.

Chips add tannic structure and surpress green flavors when used in primary but if used for ageing give a rough end grain character.

They give up all their compounds much to fast due to the larger surface area of chips and powder.

Cubes , beans and larger formats influence the wine more slowly allowing you to remove them when the wine tastes right to you.

They also have more barrel like flavors.

Easy to remember , chips and powder during primary ferment , larger formats for ageing . Usually the larger the better

moderate oaking a full sized 225 litre barrel 1 - 3 pounds of cubes or stave segments depending on the wine. American oak is a bit bolder so you can use less
http://morewinemaking.com/search/103249///Tannins_Oak_Barrel_Alternatives

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back