Mosti Mondiale Oak Chips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
I am starting a Mosti Mondiale renaissance Impressions Amarone kit today and see that it comes with 2 bags of oak chips. That seems like a lot of chips for 6 gallons of wine with a lot of displacement. Is this a mistake or should I go ahead and use both bags?

I don't know for sure how much oak is supposed to come with this kit or what kind, but it is more than likely the intended amount for the kit. There are kits that come with quite a bit of oak. I assume you're supposed to add the oak during the primary fermentation. Any oak added during fermentation will produce a more subdued, smoother oak profile than if you had added the chips after fermentation.

My MMM Roso Intensio started a few days ago come with three bags of chips. 210 grams total. Plus I will add 40 grams of French cubes in secondary and give it a few months in Vidal barrel. So, no I dont think thats a lot especially for an Amarone. Keep in mind oak is a very personal thing. Also oak in primary doesnt impart that much oak flavor. In Amarone I think it is there to set a dark color. Im not being very clear but someone else may explain better.

I have made that kit and, as with all MM kits, lots of oak in the beginning is their trademark. It will fade in time. BTW, I would suggest using BOTH the grape pack and the dried skins for that wine. It is a little thin otherwise.

I started this kit on Sunday. Evidently, the instructions have changed as they now say to add the oak chips to the bottom of the secondary when you rack the first time. I also added both the raisins and the grape skins.

I am going to ferment to dry in primary so I add all the chips in primary. After its dry I will move to carboy to rest for two more weeks on some cubes before clearing.

I am starting a Mosti Mondiale renaissance Impressions Amarone kit today and see that it comes with 2 bags of oak chips. That seems like a lot of chips for 6 gallons of wine with a lot of displacement. Is this a mistake or should I go ahead and use both bags?

I made the same kit well over a year ago, added both oak packs and both oversized grape pack and raisins, bulk aged it for year and bottled for 6 months and still tastes like plywood, with a hint of cedar. Also, seems a bit thin compared to other kits. If you want to drink it in less than a year & 1/2 hold back or rack off some of the oak.

Latest posts

Back