now what??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizz65

Reaction score
SO now that I have my must in the directions says it will take 5-7 days to be at the right SG. Do I wait till day 5 or should I check it everyday??

If the directions say thati would check it at 4 or 5 days. It will take a few days to get to the right s.g. If you check at day 4 then again at day 5 you could get an idea of how many points its droping per day, roughly. But its best not to mess with it more than you have to. This is my opinion im sure others will chime in and let you know what they would do. There are as many ways to make wine as there are people who make it...

The correct SG to do what? Rack to secondary I would hope. You can tell when the ferminenting slows down after day 4 or 5, thats when I would check the SG. Be sure to sterilize the hydrometer before taking a reading, its easy to forget, and would probally be ok but why take a chance. Tomy
smiley32.gif

I to would check on day 4 and then if close check the next, if not that lose skip a day.

Good point Tomy. I forgot to mention the sterilization. I just do it without thinking about it, It goes without saying for me but you should sterilize anything that will come in contact with your wine!!! I use a mixture of kmeta and citric acid. Very potent for that applacation.

Back