Not pretty but works

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it. I saw a multi million dollar home on HGTV that did a hign end wine room out of these panels in the entire room but they were decked out with very fancy trim work.

RodnBoro -- Looks good. Couple questions:
1. Were your panels originally black or did you paint them?
2. What size squares are in the panel?
3. How far apart are your panels placed?
4. Are the panels at the same level up and down -- and the bottles laid across them to give a "natural tilt"?

-Brian

Pumpkinman said:
I love it! What did you use to secure the panels to the 2x4's?

I attached them with 3 short pieces of metal plumbers strap on each post and then used coax cable clamps on the other rails to keep them straight and from rattling. I also attached wooden blocks at the bottom of each post for the racks to rest on.

buckhorn said:
RodnBoro -- Looks good. Couple questions:
1. Were your panels originally black or did you paint them?
2. What size squares are in the panel?
3. How far apart are your panels placed?
4. Are the panels at the same level up and down -- and the bottles laid across them to give a "natural tilt"?

-Brian

1. Painted with spray paint
2. 4" x 4"
3. 8 1/2 inches
4. Panels are same level up and down. They are spaced where the front panel will catch the neck of the bottles giving the tilt needed.
This is a goat panel which is 5ft x 16ft. I cut 2 4ft sections and made the rack 4ft tall by 5 ft wide. I was afraid making it taller would make it top heavy. I have enough left to make another rack slightly smaller.

Rocky said:
Nice work Rodnboro. Are you limited to Bordeaux type bottles or will Burgundy work also?

Both will work, but Bordeaux work better. That's what I mostly use anyway. I wish the 1500 ml size would fit, but I'll have to keep them elsewhere. I like to use those with my Dragon Blood.

Brilliant. Can you post a close up pick of one side where the panel meets the wood. You have described it, but a picture is worth 1,000 words (ok maybe a 100 in this case).

Really nice, I've seen a version or two on this site before but I think your framed freestanding is a great twist. You could do this in just about any size or shape you need not to mention as simple or fancy as you like. Great job, a couple of these will have to find life in my wine area in the future.
Mike

Where on Earth did you find an under-$30 goat panel? They are $58 here.

Where on Earth did you find an under-$30 goat panel? They are $58 here.

I paid $44.00 for the goat panel. They are being discontinued at our local Tractor Supply. I was figuring the price on the wine rack by using half of the panel and the boards. I have enough of the panel left to make another.

Very Nice . I did a similar with wwf reinforcing. Openings are 6 inches. Definetly a great way to make an industrial/ modern rack.

Great job! My wife and I have been trying to come up with an inexpensive way to store wine, I think this will work for me. Hope you don't mind me stealing your idea.

Sure Waterloowino, I actually copied a similar rack. If you make a free standing, I wouldn't make it any taller or wider though. When it's full, the middle tends to sway a little more than I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Back