Not full 6 gal carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineYooper

Reaction score
Thought I would rack my 5 gal. into a 6 gal. and add back in the remaining slurry pee I put in the fridge, after it had cleared, along with the frozen concentrate. I had planned on adding 4 cans of concentrate and topping up with some Old Orchard red raspberry juice. I added in 3 cans of concentrate and 1 quart of juice and checked the sg and found it at 1.01 which is about as high as I want to go. The problem is I have about 1.5 inch of head space below the neck in the carboy. Will I be ok with this for a week or two or should I rack back to a 5 gal to eliminate? I suppose I could top up with the rest of the juice, start another batch and then when this is done work the two together and drop my sg some without diluting/oversweetening the first. I did add sorbate, kms, and de-gas.

If just for a week or 2 and your S02 levels are good then you should be fine especially with this being a highly acidic environment and bacteria does not like that at all.

Back