No fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldnut

Reaction score
I started a batch of mango wine from fruit and used lalvin 1118 yeast, sg was 1.100. I am not getting any fermentation yet. I think it might have been too cool where I had my primary. SG is still the same after second day. I moved the bucket to a warmer location. Do you think fermentation will begin? If not can I add more yeast to get this started? Thanks Ken

did you use potassium metabisulphate at all, if you did and added the yeast too soon (ie within 48 hours or so that could be the reason)

Adding further yeast wont do any harm, if you don't get any activity in the next day or two imo.

Ken, Lalvin EC1118 is a very broad spectrum yeast. When you say the area is too cool, what temperature is it? Try to get the wine into the 70's F and you should be okay. Also, check the date on the yeast to be sure it was not out of date. With an SG of 1.100, there should be plenty of sugar for the yeast.

When I checked it before moving, it was right at 70F. I have a wood burner in the basement so I moved it to the top of the stairwell. Lots of warm air coming up through the area. Should get it going. I will let you all know. Thanks again, Ken

Check the temp. after it sits there long enough to stabalize. Your cooler air from upstairs is falling down the steps and the warmer air from below is heading up, but it will probably be up higher, so if your wine is on the floor it mite be cooler there than if you had left it where it was. Also, if you happen to have it sitting on concrete, insulate between the concrete and the primary fermenter. All you need is a couple of boards to set it on. Arne.

EC-1118 can tolerate a fairly wide temperature range. My basement stays between 65 to 68 degrees in the winter. I have 9 gallons of blueberry perking along merrily down there right now.

I do have to keep the primary pretty well aerated for the first two or three days especially if I have a pretty high starting SG. Seems like all that sugar sort of overwhelms the yeast for a while. I give it a vigorous stir a couple times a day so it gets the oxygen it needs early on.

Seems like a cooler secondary fermentation results in a better tasting wine. That might just be my imagination but my "winter" wines, fermented around 68 degrees just seem to finish out a little more robust than those fermented at or around 72-75 degrees.

I checked the primary today after work and it is bubbling beautifully!

Ignore this, had to edit, typed on wrong message

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back