Nice scale

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They now charge $7.24 shipping
I thought I would share a scale I just bought on Amazon. It is great for those very small measurements you need to make when add chemicals like K-meta. The scale is 100 x 0.01 and when I tested it tonight it was only off .02 gram before calibrating. Cost is &16.25 with free shipping. I have a bigger 500 gram scale that reads .1 gram increments but it doesn't start registering until it hits.5 gram. This one is extremely sensitive and is also used by jewlers to read ct. 10 yr warrenty. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ODPFXE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 This scale will easily fit in your shirt pocket. Very small.

scale001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So the old saying of you snooze you lose is true. Don't worry that shipping changes all the time. I see even if you have Prime shipping its that price now. If you're truly interested look around on there because wade found the same one and with shipping it still came out under $20.00

Amazon is amazing how they change prices. Last year we were buying fruit presses for under $90.00 with free shipping and a week later they were back up to about $200.00

Speaking of TV, what's the best display technology these days? LCD, plasma, ?

Plasma IMHO. I have both types. Plasma hands down if you don't mind the extra power consumption. Better picture, better blacks, better side view, better for sports. LCD only wins for energy consciousness.

Everyone I talked to said don't buy plasma as their life expectancy is very short. Funny thing, we bought on for my mother and after four years it was shot. I understand the screen is the problem. :a1

Plasma can be a problem though as its a gas in between 2 layers of glass and the most frequent problem is the unit getting jarred and the seal getting compromised. Ill stick with LCD as its been around forever and much less of a problem.

I hear the LED back lit, LCD is the way to go. I just have the LCD and love it. No side issues for me. Don't like the glossy screen I see with Plasma.

WTF? Don't know what your smoking but you had better share....

No such problem exist I can assure you. There are no problems with Plasma these days and they are just as reliable as an LCD. Better picture all the way around compared to LCD. Not so good energy wise like I said.

Plasma can be a problem though as its a gas in between 2 layers of glass and the most frequent problem is the unit getting jarred and the seal getting compromised. Ill stick with LCD as its been around forever and much less of a problem.

Did you buy a Walmart Black Friday special by chance? I have a 58" Panny THX certified for 3 years and its still jaw dropping amazing, especially with Blu Ray.

I think we need a new thread!

Everyone I talked to said don't buy plasma as their life expectancy is very short. Funny thing, we bought on for my mother and after four years it was shot. I understand the screen is the problem. :a1

WTF? Don't know what your smoking but you had better share....

No such problem exist I can assure you. There are no problems with Plasma these days and they are just as reliable as an LCD. Better picture all the way around compared to LCD. Not so good energy wise like I said.

So Mike how do you really feel about it?

There are base line TV's like most of us buy and then there is the top line which you probably have Mike. I should have made myself more clearer, for the basic Walmart or Target store TVs like I can only afford, IMO the LCD's are better for lasting. If you are going to pay a few G's then your guess is mine or take IBGlowins advice as I dont shop at those places cause I cant afford one there.

There are base line TV's like most of us buy and then there is the top line which you probably have Mike. I should have made myself more clearer, for the basic Walmart or Target store TVs like I can only afford, IMO the LCD's are better for lasting. If you are going to pay a few G's then your guess is mine or take IBGlowins advice as I dont shop at those places cause I cant afford one there.

I'm with you Wade. I have better things to spend The Big Bux on. I'm not sure which is currently the most costly, but I'm usually at the 'best value' point on tech purchases.

I'll have to go to the Big City and do some actual viewing SxS. I found a decent article online explaining the different approaches, but it's a bit dated.

According to the article, plasma is cool but on the way to museum status with LED-lit LCD being the upcoming star for the masses.

I have a 65" Mitsu I've had for 7 or 8 years. A 61" RCA before that. Both rear projection.

I bought the Mitsu with all the bells and whistles, but they don't get used. I'm going for a tunerless display device this time.

Thanx to all for the input.

I bought my TV at Amazon for hundred (and hundreds of dollars less than any brick and mortar store).... Perfect shopping experience. White glove delivery and set up. No tax, free shipping. I did tip the delivery man as he was indeed very worthy.

Plasma TV's are the best value to be had today if you are looking for a new flat panel TV. That may or may not make it the right TV for you depending on the room it will be installed in or your viewing habits.

My feeling as I have said before is you get what you pay for in wine kits as well as electronics..... Buy the best you can afford to.

Attached are the latest reviews, ratings, reliability rankings for both Plasma and LCD from Consumer Reports. If your in the market for a new TV these will help you decide what make and model is best for you.

Cheers!

View attachment LCD or plasma TV.pdf

View attachment Flat Panel Reliability .pdf

View attachment LCD TV Ratings & Reliability.pdf

View attachment Plasma TV Ratings & Reliability.pdf

Still using a 7yr old Toshiba 46" 1080i RPTV
its big and heavy but still has an excellent picture, so its hard to even consider
buying a new flat panel. Every 2 yrs or so i have taken it apart, cleaned it, re-focused and re-calibrated everything and its never needed any repairs. It sits in a big entertainment cabinet in the rec-room so a flat panel would now save any space so if we do upgrade it would mean getting rid of the cabinet and mounting a new tv on the wall (55" min, and hopefully 65") and finding another spot for audio and game components.
Nicest unit I have seen locally was a 76" Sony top of the line led for $19,995
but it would take a lottery windfall to make that happen :try

I have a projector for the movie experience. My screen is 72" wide. At the time it was much better than plasma - better quality, bigger picture and less $. If I was to do it over I'd probably go projector again vs a flat screen.
With that and 7.1 surround it's better than going to the movies.

I am waiting for my bedroom tv to give up. For that I'd like to get a flat screen, probably an LED by the time I'm ready to replace it.

Back to the scale.................

I got one shortly after seeing this post and love it. It's great for measuring small amounts, and I really like the 'tare' function. I can put the cap of the nutrient container, energizer, or whatever and zero it out and measure.

Glad to hear you got that Mike. When measuring out chemicals, a home wine maker only needs a very small scale and this fit all of our needs for so little money.

Latest posts

Back