Next project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swillologist

Reaction score
If I can get enough of them from the wife, she likes gooseberry pie. I think this will be my next project. I have sometime to think about this one. They won't be ready until at least the 1st of July. Is there anytips I need to know before I start this batch.
100_0993.jpg
Edited by: swillologist

WOW!!! I just bought a Gooseberry bush....How many bushes do you have to have to make a pie????..... or a gallon of wine????

Somehow...I think my little Gooseberry bush needs some buddies.Edited by: Northern Winos

One will more then make a pie. It will take more to make wine. LOL I have 4 bushes and many more wild one around. If you can get one of the branches to the ground, cover it with dirtin the middle and you will have another bush.When it roots, cut it off and move it to where you want it.

I've never known anyone around here who has grown gooseberries befeore. I don't think I have ever even tasted one- what are they like? I do recall seeing some as a kid growing wild, but not knowing what they were, we weren't allowed to sample. I will have to remedy that situation soon.

We have lots of wild Goose Berry Bushes. I haven't made anything with them because of their location in the woods. One of these days I will start to move them closer to the house.

We use them here just about likeyou see themon the bush. That is for making pies. But for the wineIwill have to let them ripen . They are sour when they are still green.That is allwe have ever used. Just made pies. This will be a different deal with the wine using them when they are ripe. I don't know if I have ever tasted one that was ripe. This maybe interesting. If I have enough, I'm going to give it a try anyway. I will need 7 1/2 lbs to make 3 gallon batch.

If you dony get enough for a 3 gallon at least get enough for a gallon batch so that you can tell us how it is!
smiley4.gif

I can do that. I have a gallon jug. I just like to make enough so I can pass it around.
smiley36.gif
You know it's better to give then to receive.

What do you use for a primary when you make that small a batch. If I used the big bucketI will leave a lot of it in it.

I use the regular bucket but I have spigots which help eliminate what
you dont get with a racking cane. They work great and I would never go
without 1 again. I have 1 batch in a primary that I didnt realize I
never installed a spigot on and Im going to shoot myself whe I need to
rack that batch!
smiley36.gif

ok! I have a primary that a friend gave me the otherday. It has a spigot. I haven't looked at it yet. I don't know if the spigot is good or not. I will have to bring it up and put some water in it to see if it leaks. Thanks

Do Not Forget to Add Pectinase. Also, are you planning on fermenting on the fruit or doing it like a white grape wine? Crackedcork

I plan on fermenting on the fruit. The recipe is not real clear on this though. The recipe said to put all the ingredients except yeast into fermenting bag. How do you keep the water in the fermenting bag.
smiley36.gif
Just kiddin. It calls for 1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme if that is what you mean. I'm really new at this.

Thanks wade. Mother surprised me yesterday afternoon and brought home 30 lbs of frozen tart cherries. Now I have to figure out what to do with then.Let me think, make wine.
smiley32.gif
Has any one made wine with frozen cherries? Edited by: swillologist

I don't have a steam jucier that the others have talked about on here. So I'm going to have to usea fermention bag and let the cherries in the must until I rack it intoa carboy. Edited by: swillologist

We are getting closer.
100_1055.jpg

I have a couple of problems with the gooseberries though. One is the birds won't let them get ripe. But I took care of that. I put netting on the bush. The next problem is a bigger one. They are falling off before they are completely ripe. If I pick them early will they still ripen up good enough to make wine?

Latest posts

Back