WineXpert Newbie Panic

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike777

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new here to the forum and have started my first kit a VR Cabernet Sauvignon. (completely new to wine)

So far its been racked into the carboy and I am 4 days into the 10 to wait to add the clearing agents etc.

Everything has been fine up to now. Good measures, extra clean etc.

Here is the question: I have about 3/4" of loose yeasty sediment and the flow of bubbles has nearly stopped. Down to one the size of a half a pea every 5-6 seconds and no more masses of tiny bubbles flowing up the neck.

During the primary it cooked several big bubbles about every three seconds like a coffee pot. I know a small amount of oakdust went through, but it looked like almost all of the oak package was left over in the primary.

Is everything OK? Am I worried about nothing? Is this Newbie panic?

Thanks.

Sounds like everything is going fine to me. The sediment is normal. They are referred to as Lees. It is spent yeast. The fermentation will slow down as you have stated. Just remember to stir that gunk all up with the clearing agents when you stabilize. Believe it or not, they will help clear your wine.

Smurfe

Hey,

I am new also so thake this with a grain of salt. I have read quite a bit on this forum and I think you are ok. Are you worried about the bubles or the oak? If you are worried about the bubles then it sounds like it is doing what it is suppose to do. at 10 days check your SG and if it consistant where the directions say it is suppose to be you are ok.

If you are worried that you wwrent suppose to transfer any oak from the primary I don't think there is a way to avoid it and it is favoriable.

Sounds like you are ok.

Good luckEdited by: First Time Wine

More worried because the activity had slowed down. I thought that the oak may have poisioned the yeast at this stage even though a small amount got through.

Thanks for the quick responses. I am doing this with my wife for a new hobby to go with our wine drinking hobby, and I was afraid more that she would be disapointed if it was going bad. We both know the kit isn't the greatest product on the bottle end but we were loking for bulk to begin with while we were learning, and figuring out which kits we wanted to sulper and keep for a while. I have bad sulphite alergies and the short shelf life suits me fine, but a good kit put up and in moderation won't be a problem for the allergies.
It ran $65 and free shipping, but at the local store they wanted $115.

I didn't finish asking the above question. Was it 65 because it was a year old? I couldn't find a date anywhere, so I was kind of thinking along those lines. Probably part of my panic too.

Again thanks for the quick responses.
smiley20.gif

Edited by: Mike777

No problem. One thing you migh look into doing is after you add the clearing agents and let all the stuf sink and it is clear and ready to go. You might want to transfer it over to another clean carboy taking extra caution not to suck up any sediment. You will probaly have to top off your carboy with a bottle of similer wine because of the extra space that is created without the sediment on the bottom. I did this for a couple reasons, 1) I want to let it sit in my carboy and age a little bit before I bottle it. and 2) I don want to have to mess with the lees when I bottled it. I also want to sample itmonthly and that is a lot easer to do if it is aging in a carboy. I am just a little curious how it might taste and improve over the coures of half a year or so.

Edited by: First Time Wine

Heh hehe heh.. right now it tastes like yeasty grape juice that has been spiked, but I noticed it sforming the Cab flavor a bit too now and the oak stayed in the flavor. Tastes like about 6% to me now.
Edited by: Mike777

One more Newbie serious question.

Some folks told me to use vodka in the air lock once it was in glass because it had positive pressure and the vodka stopped bacteria.

Is this really nessicary for wine?

All wine kits from reputable retailers have a date on the box somewhere as the kits are guaranteed for one year from that date. That being said, $65.00 for the VR Cab with free shipping is a tad low, but $115.00 is way too much.

Thanks George. we found the forum before we perused the store here. Lot of good stuff! We live in Washington state so we pay a premium for anything graced by our liquor board. Our only close store just has the VR and a few of the larger boxes but not much selection on kits. They do a lot of beer and scratch wine ingredients.

Any thoughts on the equipment ? Should I be using vodka in the lock?

Thanks. We would rather deal with someone who actualy makes wine, than just run a store.

Mike777, vodka in the lock is a good idea. You definitely want something that is not prone to bacteria growth. I use my sanitizing fluid (K-Meta), this was a FVW recommendation. I am new to this also and can't say enough about the support you can get from George or this forum!!!! Good luck and it sounds like you are doing just fine.

Welcome to the forum Mike777. You've come to the right spot. I too am new at this and this forum will be a lifesaver or at least one to settle your mind.
Looking forward to the next step, do you have a wine whip or fizz-x to degass your wine? Trust me, you don't want to try to degass your wine by hand and it is an important step to ensure the outcome is what you'd expect.

GrapeApe.

Hey Mike777,

Looks like the other experts have answered your questions, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum! Great folk here and willing to offer any advice you need. Good luck with the kit!

How true that is. I just degassed my second batch last night and it takes a while even if you use the drill. The drill power degasser and the auto syphon are very handy.

You might have already seen this but I found this tutorial very helpful.

http://www.finevinewines.com/wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1135
http://www.finevinewines.com/wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1175
http://www.finevinewines.com/wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1235
http://www.finevinewines.com/wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1404

Welcome Mike777, I agree, your kit is doing fine and the bubbling will
peter off pretty quickly toward the end. If you dont have a drill
powered degasser you might want to invest in one. I recommend the
mix-stir as it is stainless steel through-out unlike some others that
are plastic and will eventually break.

Latest posts

Back