Newbie Girl

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!! I am a wannabe winemaker. I am researching sites, kits, and wines to see if this is a hobby worth taking on. Sounds fun, enjoy red wines and I have settled on this website because it is "comfortable".

I am looking at a kit to start. Should I begin with the "Island Mist" or does anyone suggest a red to start? I am a firm believer in taking others advice and recommendations as experience has its merits!

Any replys would be great!

uavwmn

Welcome to the forum uavwmn
smiley32.gif
It is a great place to come to for friendliness and helpfulness. Everyone tries to make you feel wanted.

You like red wines, sweet or dry? Do you want to be able to drink soon or are you patient enough to wait a year for rewards. Let us know and we will chime in with some recommendations either way.

Thank you for the welocme mat. I love it here already!

Sweet and semi dry reds. I hope to make, perhaps the Island Mist and drink in a couple of months.

I will TRY to wait patiently for the reds to mature. I likes Wades idea of the shotgun trigger on a crate if I tried to open them early. hahaha

I can't wait to begin, but want to do more homework.

I have tons of questions.

uavwmn

Here is a good starter wine for you if you like sweet or semi-dry. They call it White Zinfandel, but it is more blush than white. I haven't met anyone yet that doesn't either love this one or at least find it very good. A little light bodied, but it ages quickly and well. I think it is good to drink just as fast as the IM kits.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDet.asp?PartNumber=3195

What's does everybody else recommend here? Let's all help out a newcomer.Edited by: appleman

Ok, time to pick brains here. 1. Can I make a batch of wine, bottle it, then begin a new batch? 2. Do the bottles have to be laying on their side? 3. I hope to have patience enough to wait for the red wine to age. haha

4. Can I set this operation up on my counter in the spare bathroom? 5. If I begin with a red wine juice, which one is best to start with? 6. Any extra "I gotta have" equipment that I may need that is not included in the Premier Kit?

Sorry about all the questions, I am just excited to begin.

Thank you~

uavwmn

Appleman, thank you for the advice. Leaning toward the white zin! Thanks. What is an IM kit?

Ok, time to pick brains here.
1. Can I make a batch of wine, bottle it, then begin a new batch?Absolutely
2. Do the bottles have to be laying on their side? They will keep the cork wet better on the side and age better
3. I hope to have patience enough to wait for the red wine to age. haha Do a quick one first and follow up with a good aging red

4. Can I set this operation up on my counter in the spare bathroom? Absolutely, a lot of the members here start exactly that way.
5. If I begin with a red wine juice, which one is best to start with? A lot of choices here-what is your budget range per kit?
6. Any extra "I gotta have" equipment that I may need that is not included in the Premier Kit? That starter kit has just about it all included!

Sorry about all the questions, I am just excited to begin.

Thank you~

uavwmn

Just some quick answers for you. I'm sure others will chime in soon with more in depth followup!

The IM is the Island Mist kits you referred to earlier.
smiley36.gif
Sorry we forget not everybody is familiar with all our little shortcuts.

My budget for a kit...with a couple of juices to begin with is $400.
Really appreciate your quick responses. Thank you.

WOW, congrats on a bronze at the NY State Fair!! I have definitely written that one down.
I will give him a call. And thanks again.
PS. I am trying not to let my boss catch me here at work writing to this site. haha

Several of us started with a Mezza Luna Red kit from Wine Expert. One of the cheaper ones out there, so a good choice for first - not as much to lose.

The Island Mist kits are good - my wife's first one (Black Raspberry Merlot) was a big hit.

I'm real pleased with the all juice (with raisins) Amarone from Mosti Mondiale. It was great & I haven't even bottled or aged it yet. Edited by: bj4271

The Mezza Luna Red is my wife's all time favorite so far...

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome UAV, that equipment kit is way more than what I started with and is worth every penny. Where I bought mine they didnt have upgrades like this in a package, that is Georges own doing and is an excellent idea. I have spent a lot more than that to get where I am and you still have a few things on me like the bottle filler, bottle blaster, and the auto siphon. I do have a few oys that I chose over those like the horizontal thermocapsular which is an electric tool for doing the heat shrink capsules for the bottle tops and a gravity filter. That is an awesome way to begin your hobby.

Welcome to the forum, you havbe found the best bunch on the internet to learn from and George is definately the best there is for advic and supplies

smiley17.gif
Scuba, good luck on Saturday!! I hope it is fun, as I am sure it will be!! Let me know how it went. Looking forward to getting my kit......hopefully next weekend. :)

uavwmn

Ok, will order my kit next Fri. I have decided to try the mezzuna red first.

Then, when that is bottled I will try the IM.

I am a photo fanatic, so be prepared!! lol

Any preference on corks? Synthetic good?

uavwmn

Cant wait to see your pics, it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

My kit came today so I will be starting it off tomorrow morning.

Scuba

Latest posts

Back