Newbie From Michigan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkingsnorth

Reaction score
Hello,

Just joined today. I am new to winemaking and actually just started my first batch this afternoon. I purchased a kit from Kraus. It is White Zinfandel. I have always wanted to get into making my own wine. I just moved to the Ann Arbor area and the house I bought has about 1.5 acres. There was already grapevines here when I moved here. I harvested a 1 gallon freezer bag full this year. They are in the freezer right now. The vines have not been managed properly and are in desperate need of pruning. I also have lots of other fruits growing on my property that I will be using to make wine with. They include an apple tree, cherry tree, 2 mulberry trees, wild grapes, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, and the grapevines (unknown type). I will be planting more grapvines on the property next year. I hope to learn a lot from all of you. I am not new to forums.

Jim

Welcome Jim! Sounds like you are off to a good start with all of that fruit.

Yeah, you're lucky to have such an abundance of fresh fruit on your property. Hopefully when I buy a place, it will have space for me to tinker with berries and grapes and things.

welcome aboard, jim, both to the forum, and the hobby....from one fellow michigander to another....cheers!!!!!!....:b

Aloha! from Hawaii Jim, you're a lucky person to have an "instant vineyard" of choice! Welcome!

Aloha! from Hawaii Jim, you're a lucky person to have an "instant vineyard" of choice! Welcome!

Yes, when we were looking at homes in the area I told my wife that I wanted to have some property where I could plant grapevines. My wife and I had just viewed the inside of the house and were sitting in the car discussing it. I looked over at the garage and noticed the grapevines growing over next to it. I was a tad bit excited and knew this was the place for me.

Welcome! I'm a Michigander by birth. Grew up near Kalamazoo. I miss Michigan.

By the way, my first attempt at winemaking when I was in high school was from mulberries. It turned out terrible. We don't have mulberry trees here but I have fond memories of gorging on the berries from the neighborhood trees when I was a kid.

Welcome! I'm a Michigander by birth. Grew up near Kalamazoo. I miss Michigan.

By the way, my first attempt at winemaking when I was in high school was from mulberries. It turned out terrible. We don't have mulberry trees here but I have fond memories of gorging on the berries from the neighborhood trees when I was a kid.

I was born in Battle Creek and grew up in Lakeview. We used to go to Kalamazoo often.

I was born in Battle Creek and grew up in Lakeview. We used to go to Kalamazoo often.

born and raised on the east side here.....grew up in the "D", but have since been in the 'burbs of macomb county since graduation....

born and raised on the east side here.....grew up in the "D", but have since been in the 'burbs of macomb county since graduation....

I am actually in Ypsi Twp. Unless your from the area you won't know where that is, but everybody knows Ann Arbor. Moved here from Wyandotte.

I am actually in Ypsi Twp. Unless your from the area you won't know where that is, but everybody knows Ann Arbor. Moved here from Wyandotte.

gotcha, but yeah....i know abouts the area you are in....don't "know" the area, but know of it and all....ypsi, washtenaw county area...."a" squared....got one thing to say to that...."GO BLUE"!!!!!....lol....

gotcha, but yeah....i know abouts the area you are in....don't "know" the area, but know of it and all....ypsi, washtenaw county area...."a" squared....got one thing to say to that...."GO BLUE"!!!!!....lol....

Go blue. Too bad that team south of us beat us this weekend in basketball. I actually lived down in Columbus for three years. There are some nice vinyards down in that area. I remember this one vinyard had a wine called Frost Fire. The winery was called Breitenbach Winery. Really good stuff. Anyway...

Go blue. Too bad that team south of us beat us this weekend in basketball. I actually lived down in Columbus for three years. There are some nice vinyards down in that area. I remember this one vinyard had a wine called Frost Fire. The winery was called Breitenbach Winery. Really good stuff. Anyway...

yeah....you are right...too bad they beat us, but the season isn't over yet....and as for living down there, well...i am sure there are things we all do in life that we regret.....roflmao.....:)just kidding.....but yeah, i know there are some nice wineries all over actually...been to at least one once when we were down in ohio for a trip to cedar point and kalahari resorts....i know you are from michigan as well, but if you have never been up to traverse city, then you are truly missing out on going to a lot of fine vineyards and wineries....that has become my favorite, budget concious getaway destination....i love it....if you haven't gotta up that way, be sure and try to schedule yourself a trip up that way sometime....you won't regret it, i guarantee!!!!!....

Last edited:
yeah....you are right...too bad they beat us, but the season isn't over yet....and as for living down there, well...i am sure there are things we all do in life that we regret.....roflmao.....:)just kidding.....but yeah, i know there are some nice wineries all over actually...been to at least one once when we were down in ohio for a trip to cedar point and kalahari resorts....i know you are from michigan as well, but if you have never been up to traverse city, then you are truly missing out on going to a lot of fine vineyards and wineries....that has become my favorite, budget concious getaway destination....i love it....if you haven't gotta up that way, be sure and try to schedule yourself a trip up that way sometime....you won't regret it, i guarantee!!!!!....

I am a huge fan of Leelanau Cellars wines. Their winter white is one of my favorites. Actually we buy more of their products than anything else. My favorite from them is Witches Brew. Love it!

I am a huge fan of Leelanau Cellars wines. Their winter white is one of my favorites. Actually we buy more of their products than anything else. My favorite from them is Witches Brew. Love it!

that may be the case, but leelanau cellars is only 1 of about 20 wineries and hard cider mills up there on the pennisulas....lol..but yes, their wines are a very good quality, more reasonably priced product....my family loves the winter white and witches brew as well....that is of course, after my wines....lol...

that may be the case, but leelanau cellars is only 1 of about 20 wineries and hard cider mills up there on the pennisulas....lol..but yes, their wines are a very good quality, more reasonably priced product....my family loves the winter white and witches brew as well....that is of course, after my wines....lol...

My wife wants me to do a witches brew type wine for the fall. It is nice warmed up.

Latest posts

Back