newbie from Michigan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just received my big box of goodness from George yesterday. Looking forward to begin my very first fermentation tonight. It's a Village Vintner Pinot Grigio. Also got a Cab Sauv kit.

Anyone have any pointers for fermenting in a colder area? We plan on keeping everything in the basement, where it usually hovers around 55 degrees. We plan on kickingthe heat upto about 65for the first day or two. The yeast is EC-1118, which I understand is more forgiving in cooler temperatures.

Welcome MamaJ!

A brew belt would help keep it warm during fermentation without the need to turn the heat in the basement up a lot. You want your must as close to or above 70 as you can get it. It is most important at the beginning and then again near completion to keep it from getting stuck.

Welcome to the great obsession.

Welcome to the forums and this new hobby/obsession!

Do not start either kit until you either get a brew belt or a heating pad (that doesn't shut off after a few hours). Your basement is a great place to make and store your wine but its way too cold right now for fermentation to complete. You will need 70-74 degree temps on the must to keep the yeast happy. You will need to keep at these temps all the way through completion in secondary at approx day 20. After you degass and add your fining and clarifying agents then and only then can you remove the wine from the heat source and let it fall down to room temps.

Don't be afraid to ask questions! Lots of experience floating around these parts!

Welcome MamaJ,

I third the above. I use my basement, too, and the temp down there is in the lower 60's. I converted the bathroom to my winery; that way I can shut the door and keep in a little heat.

The brew belt is pretty much an absolute for basements in cold climates. Like Appleman said, once the fermentation starts, the yeasties eating away will produce enough heat to keep the wine warm. As fermentation trails off, they won't produce as much heat again.

When you degas, keeping the temp up is very, very important. Degassing seems to be a challenge for those working on their first few kits. If you don't have the temp of the wine up to 75 to 78 F, it just won't completely degas for you.

I have a small oil-filled heater that I keep in the room and keep on a very low setting. If you are using a big open room, that won't help you much. The brew belt should do the trick.

As you progress, ask all the questions you need answered, everyone here is delighted to help you.

I'm certainly glad I bothered to askabout the temperature! Thanks everyone for the welcome and for the words of advice. We'll turn the heat in the basement up to 70until we have the brew belt ready. I appreciate the words of wisdom!

when U get the brew belt also attach on of those sticky thermometers that will tell U the temp of the must.
Then U can adjust the brew belt accordingly.
I got a primary too hot once from not monitoring it.
Just as bad if not worse than too cold.

Welcome as well.
smiley32.gif

The lower down on the bucket the brew belt sets, the warmer it will make the whole bucket. If you get too much heat, you can even slide wedges between the belt and bucket to help lower the temp in the bucket... I use ballpoint pens and spoons, others use those triangular rubber door stops; most anything will work.

Also IMO, you can use the belt on glass carboys and Better Bottle carboys. It just doesn't get THAT hot to crack or melt them. I do it all the time. Just use your own good judgment.

We have the heat kicked up - feels very balmy in the house. Fermentation appears to have commenced! Thanks again to everyone for the advice about the temperature.

Welcome MamaJ.....One more little thing about the temp. thing, if you keep the fermenter off the floor helps a lot too....Now to get to wine making..
smiley20.gif
...Good Luck and enjoy

Welcome, MamaJ. I'm from Northern Wisconsin and I use a heating pad with a control that has more than the normal 3 settings. I just tie it to the bucket and to the carboy, (whichever I'm using). and I keep the must at 75 degrees. My basement has in floor heat and I keep it at 68 degrees. You will want to keep that 75 degree temp on your must at least until you jave degassed!

Welcome to the forum. It is, as you can see, a great place to get help. Enjoy!
smiley1.gif

Welcome MamaJ. After trying to heat a small bathroom during fermentation I invested in a brewbelt. WOW how simple and effective. Wouldn't trade it for anything now. Another word of warning is not to wrap anything around the primary with brewbelt on such as insulation or blanket. Don't want to create a fire hazard...

Mamaj, welcome to the Forum!! 55 degrees may be a little chilly for your fermentation. Get that poor little wine a brew belt or get it to a place where it is around 70 degrees.Enjoy this great hobby!!!!
smiley4.gif

Welcome Mama J

I am also from MI. I have been fortunate to be able to run my fermentations on the main floor where I can monitor them better. It will be nice to have that 55 degree basement for aging the wines though.

We built a wine cellar that ranges between 60-65 degrees. I also have a bathroom that can get warmer if I leave the lights on. This is probably where I will ferment things in the future (Should my wife kick me out of the main floor).

Latest posts

Back