New to this forum!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steamer

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. In fact I've never posted on one before. I live in Hartville, OH, retired, and have been making wine for 5 years. My wife and I prefer dry wines, big reds and crispy whites. Most of our wines have been from kits but we've made about 15 juice buckets. This past fall we took a step up and purchased 108# of Californian Cab Sauv grapes. Bottled that one in February and will TRY not to touch it for at least a year.

I've browsed several message threads on this forum and I'm excited to know I can learn a lot here. I do have a question. We like a buttery Chardonney and I understand this is usually accomplished through MLF. I understand the basic idea, but everything I read suggests this is a somewhat complicated process. I had in mind to purchase a bucket of Chardonney juice and try MLF.....maybe! Which Forum would be the best to post questions? Thank you!!!!

Currently have a Wine Expert Selection Int. Brunello in secondary

Last edited:
Hi Steamer,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. There are several threads on MLF under General Winemaking and it is not as difficult as it seems.

Welcome to the forum.

You can post about MLF on any of the general wine-related forums.
You probably already know you should never attempt an MLF on a kit, that's why you mentioned a "juice bucket" of Chardonnay.

Some MLF bacteria (MLB) are better for whites, some better for reds. Some produce more of the diectyl, which, along with oak, is responsible for that buttery taste. Diectyl is generally not considered a good thing for reds, though, some judge it at a flaw. Just study the various types of MLB available and choose one accordingly.

It is important to monitor the progress of the MLF, so you should acquire a chromatography kit to measure it. One reason is because after alcohol fermentation is completed, one can't add sulfites for protect; that has to wait until after the MLF is finished and an MLF can take 1 to 3 months to complete. So, the sooner you know MLF is completed, the sooner you can add sulfites (if you do add sulfites).

Good luck!

Welcome aboard Steamer. You're not that far from the gang in Pgh. I wish you would have came on a few weeks ago. We had a large gathering at Luva Bellas near Boardman Ohio.

Welcome aboard Steamer. You're not that far from the gang in Pgh. I wish you would have came on a few weeks ago. We had a large gathering at Luva Bellas near Boardman Ohio.

What a coincidence! We are going to Luva Bellas tomorrow (Sat. 4/13) 3 couples going for lunch and pick up juice. I'm picking up 5 myself. BTW, I'm a Browns fan! But I was born in Uniontown, PA. Not far from Pgh. Thanks for the "Welcome"

What a coincidence! We are going to Luva Bellas tomorrow (Sat. 4/13) 3 couples going for lunch and pick up juice. I'm picking up 5 myself. BTW, I'm a Browns fan! But I was born in Uniontown, PA. Not far from Pgh. Thanks for the "Welcome"

Oh that's ok that you are a Browns fan, we won't hold that against you :)

What juice are you getting?

Oh that's ok that you are a Browns fan, we won't hold that against you :)

What juice are you getting?

1 Chard and 1 Pinot Grigio for myself. Also getting 2 Chards and a PG for others. There are 6 of us going to LB's It's about 50 miles so we make it a day-trip and have lunch there. Great food and friendly!

Welcome to the forum.

You can post about MLF on any of the general wine-related forums.
You probably already know you should never attempt an MLF on a kit, that's why you mentioned a "juice bucket" of Chardonnay.

Some MLF bacteria (MLB) are better for whites, some better for reds. Some produce more of the diectyl, which, along with oak, is responsible for that buttery taste. Diectyl is generally not considered a good thing for reds, though, some judge it at a flaw. Just study the various types of MLB available and choose one accordingly.

It is important to monitor the progress of the MLF, so you should acquire a chromatography kit to measure it. One reason is because after alcohol fermentation is completed, one can't add sulfites for protect; that has to wait until after the MLF is finished and an MLF can take 1 to 3 months to complete. So, the sooner you know MLF is completed, the sooner you can add sulfites (if you do add sulfites).

Good luck!

You've been a great help. I'll post my questions on the General Wine Making forum.

Hey Steamer, Charles is the winemaker and usually takes the money for the juice. As him for a tour and he'll probably give you some tastings out of the tank. Tell him Dan from Presque Isle told you to ask. I'm sure he'll give you a nice tour if they're not swamped.

Hey Steamer, Charles is the winemaker and usually takes the money for the juice. As him for a tour and he'll probably give you some tastings out of the tank. Tell him Dan from Presque Isle told you to ask. I'm sure he'll give you a nice tour if they're not swamped.

Will do! Thanks.

Latest posts

Back