New to Site

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonewolf

Junior
Reaction score
Hello from Iowa.... I have been learning a lot from this forum in the past several months. Started making wine some time ago and I'm having fun. I have made 4 kits with all turning out great except for the WE Island Mist White Zinfandel, I was disappointed with flavor and strength. I have since learned from reading this forum about raising the starting SG with some sugar, makes a world of difference in the finale product.
I have a question for the forum. I made a batch of Strawberry wine and during the secondary fermentation, it had a real strong ammonia smell, which got worst when I set it aside to clear. It had a very tart taste. Finally had to throw it away. Here are the ingredients I used:

1 lb of frozen strawberries (crushed & strained
4 cans of welches white grape concentrate
2 cans of welches strawberry breeze concentrate
4 lbs sugar
2 tsp peptic enzyme
3 campden tablets
1 tsp acid blend to .60
Starting SG 1.084
This is for 3 gallons

Well I'm not sure what happened but it was gross ....

Looking forward to learning more in the future ...

Did you check what wasin the welches white grape conc. for preservatives....white grape often has some kind of preservatives and than if you added 3 tabs. of K-Meta may have been too much for the yeast....But I am just taking a guess.....OH and welcome to the forum....

Welcome, glad to have you active in the forum.

Ok , What was the sg when you transfered to secondary? What was the sg when you set it aside to clear and did you ever add k-meta and sorbate to stabilize?

Some fruit winescan bequite odoriferous when fermenting. However if something did go wrong I would say that you got something else growing in there.

Welcome Lonewolf,

Can't help you onthis question but glad to be of help when possible.

SG to secondary 1.020
SG to clear 2 days .992

used campden tab and sorbate to finish before clearing
2 days later betonite to clear

Well, That looks good.
1 tsp acid blend to .60 ?? is this (.60 grams acid per 100ml )
I would expect to use more acid blend to get the ph to 3.5 for example.

I would call this a welches with real fruit added recipe. Did it ever clear? how old was it when you threw it out?It is a strawberry that finished dry. ( no sugar) strawberry is best sweet. (add sugar back to a sg of 1.010 or more.) Was the taste tart or dry? Being dry and low on acid (if it was) it could be both.

Lonewolf,

Only ONE pound for Strawberry wine? That is not enough strawberry. With all the Welch's concentrat I think it has to much acid

Next time add 3-4 pounds of strawberry per gallon and no Welch's. Just add enough sugar to bring the starting gravity to 1.085.
You can get frozen at Sam's

When I made the Strawberry I didn't have an acid test kit or PH papers. I test all must and wines now. I have a blueberry and a pomagranite/cherry fermenting now and they seem to be just fine.

Tepe , This is an improved welches wine not a tainted strawberry wine.
smiley3.gif

Sorry Lonewolf, Tepe is working on higher class wines.
smiley36.gif
Welches is a great way to learn and having real fruit will improve a welches wine. ( you can however buy frozen strawberrys cheap at Sams.)

I think that it could have turned out great if the ph was good and the sg was sweetened backto orabove 1.010

Hope that you stick around and learn with us.
smiley20.gif

I dont see any nutrients added and that sometimes can cause the yeast to starve from low nutrient especially when using a yeast such as Red Star Montrachet. What yeast did you use. I always add 1 tsp of nutrient and 1/2 tsp of energizer per gallon of must. Also, By any chance was this wine sitting on any lees for an extended period of time?

Welcome Lonewolf. The ammonia odor seems strange to me. What was the yeast strain you used and was there any taste other than tart?

I will just offer you a warm "Welcome". Not sure what would have made the strong odors, but since it is gone, we will never really know how good it might have been some day!

I just don't see how you can call it Strawberry Wine when there is only one pound of strawberry in a 3 gallon batch.
smiley5.gif

Hi Lonewolf, and welcome to the Forum. Like a few others, I have no idea about the strange smell, but I held a moment of personal silence for you having to abandon that batch and pour it out.

I had one batch that didn't smell like ammonia, but more like sewer gas. In fact I was running around pouring water in drains and trying to find where the gas was coming in from -- til I put my nose on the carboy and whoa! It was a little 1 gallon but it stank up the house. I looked up what to do about the "rotten egg" smell sort of thing and aerated it vigorously, added more yeast nutrient stuff, and hung a 1 inch piece of copper pipe in it overnight. I could have buried a statue of St. Anthony in the yard for good measure, but it was winter and the ground was frozen.

The smell did go away, and I don't really suggest throwing old plumbing bits into one's buckets but... I can feel for what it is like to have a batch go strange on you.

(P.S., I notice the recipe does also include the Welches Strawberry Breeze concentrate as well as 1 lb of fruit. I can see how you called it Strawberry wine in reflection of the flavor profile myself.)

Lonewolf, I just made a 1 gal batch of strawberry wine and used 4 1/2 pounds of frozen strawberries and 1 can of Welches white grape concentrate.

Thanks everyone for the info .... I will use more fruit next time. I am going to making 3 gal batches for my fruit wines from now on. Because I have 3 gal carboys. I'm looking thru the past posts for a raspberry recipe, since my wife says it has to be the made next.

Welcome to the forum Lonewolf, raspberry sounds good, that fruit seems to have a very strong flavor, in my batches anyway. Call it what you want, its yours, have fun!

Latest posts

Back