Other New Kit Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
I'm starting a kit wine (Island Mist Blackberry Merlot). I'm adding sugar to boost the SG to 1.080 (10-11% alcohol).

When I make wine from fruit, I stir the primary must daily (after fermentation starts). But the kit directions don't mention this. So should I stir, or not?

And since I'm boosting the alcohol to 10-11%, about how much longer will I need to age it before it's good and ready to drink?

Chopper
No need on (most) kits wines. There are some that askt you to do thou. Always follow the kit directions and you will be OK.
Reason you need to stir fruit wines is to "punch" the cap down to help the yeast work.

The Instructions on Island Mist say DO NOT STIR, after sprinkling the yeast. What I have learned from reading post and opinions; is like Tepe said "It is not necessary";will be OK if it makes you feel good AFTER fermentation is active; may cause problems with starting fermentation if you stir between.

Latest posts

Back