New guy at the carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoxbar

Junior
Reaction score
I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I live in southern Oklahoma and will be starting a free winemaking class from my local winemaking store. I'm very excited! I'm planning on starting with kits and maybe moving into making fresh fruit wines from the many fruits I have avaible on my farm. I have a couple of questions and I will ask them in the proper area.

Welcome aboard Hoxbar. Lots of good advice here. You will learn as much as you want to or need to.

welcome!......i have to comment of the *free* part.....nope...once you get going w this you are going to be *into* it for years to come....cashout the IRA ")

hoxbar, welcome aboard!!
smiley36.gif

hoxbar said:
I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I live in southern Oklahoma and will be starting a free winemaking class from my local winemaking store. I'm very excited! I'm planning on starting with kits and maybe moving into making fresh fruit wines from the many fruits I have avaible on my farm. I have a couple of questions and I will ask them in the proper area.

Welcome !
Ask your local store if there is a local wine club. You will enjoy your new hobby (obsession).
Let us know what you will be making. Oh yea, Might as well buy TWO kits.. LOL

hoxbar said:

Welcome !!!
smiley20.gif
What a great Man!!

.....................Did someone say free wine??....................

appleman said:
Welcome here hoxbar. Interesting name there. Any stories? Hope to have you around for a while.
My name, "hoxbar" is the name of an old ghost town that was located near my home. It was a community that was started probably by Native American's after the trail of tears. Very little is know about this community, other than it was located in the pickens district(which is like a county), Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory. The history of Oklahoma is very unsual. This are would have been addressed this was until 1907(statehood).You asked so that's the history of the name. I have no wine making stories. Although my wife love's cafe zin made be gallo wines. Any suggestions of a wine kit that would make a sweet berry type of white zen?

Cool !! I mean Spooky!!
smiley3.gif
" Hoxbar Ghost Wine " .............. The wine that goes right threw you............. No maybe not.
smiley36.gif

Welcome aboard. There are a few wine kits that will make wines your wife would like. Look at the Island Mist or Orchard Breezing kits. I made an Island Mist Exotic Fruits White Zin that was very good. The regular White Zin kits like the Wine Expert Selection kit is very good as well. Better than most any commercial white zin you will taste. I look forward to your posts and particularly the fruit wines you will make. What you have growing on the farm there?

smurfe said:
Welcome aboard. There are a few wine kits that will make wines your wife would like. Look at the Island Mist or Orchard Breezing kits. I made an Island Mist Exotic Fruits White Zin that was very good. The regular White Zin kits like the Wine Expert Selection kit is very good as well. Better than most any commercial white zin you will taste. I look forward to your posts and particularly the fruit wines you will make. What you have growing on the farm there?

We have lots of wild blackberrys, wild plums, wild persimmons. We have some nice pear and peach trees, and my wife is trying her hand at strawberrys. We also have a few mulberry trees. I think I'll try the blackberry's first.

Welcome to the forum Hoxbar. Your not to far from where some of my family came from, Hugo. Nice selection of fruits you have there to make into wine, have fun!

I agree with Smurfe. The Exotic Fruits White Zinfandel is loved by most people who try it that aren't huge wine drinkers. They never last long when they try it.

Interesting story about the name. Don't worry about wine stories- you will aquire them as you go.

Freeze all the fruit you can or do as others also do and get a steamer to juice the fruits. I will be making some of that Mulberry wine myself this year.

Found out that a friend of my wife's has a large mulberry tree in her back yard. I plan to stake that one out this spring myself. She doesn't eat them, but the birds sure do.

Hox stick around, they will make winemakers out of us yet. I've got my 2009 season planned in my head.

Latest posts

Back