New 23l Vadai barrel - finally got it

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
The guy at the LHBS recommended to better seal by completely submerging in cool water for 2 full days, rather than using hot water.

Anyone used that method?
Should I stick with Vadai's instructions instead?

The plan is to barrel ferment a Chardonnay from grapes early next week. The silicon bung they have is small so I got a rubber bung.

Am I better off getting a silicone bung instead? I think someone mentioned 8 1/2, correct?
None of the lbhs carry this silicone bung size so trying not to order online just or such a small item.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1425072391.183165.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1425072405.751017.jpg

Last edited:
I think mine is rubber. Not sure of the size but has a hole for the airlock. Congrats on the barrel.

Reading a lot around here....forgot to get a solid bung....:m

Last edited:
Congrats, Varis!

I've followed Vadai's instructions on both of mine and no leaks.

Since I only have a drilled bung I guess I'm gonna have to use it when I fill for 3 days and maybe put something to block the hole.

I know but the instructions seem to indicate like if the bung used is solid.

"Do not stand in front of the bung because the pressure of the steam could shoot the bung out like a bullet and could hurt someone or damage something."

Anyhow, will start prepping this beauty in the morning. Thanks.

When prepping, I used the solid wood bung. After that, #8.5 with an airlock.

They did not give me any wood bung, oh well..

Followed instructions but instead of dumping hot water kept adding more to almost fill the tub and also filled barrel with boiling hot water.

Resting now almost submerged, will leave for 3 days.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1425151122.618132.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1425151151.884348.jpg

Three days might be a little too long, remember your losing oak every day its filled with water and not wine! I would take it out after 24 hours and leave it filled on the stand and watch for any spotting. No spotting for 12 hours, drain it, fill it and start the clock. You should really pick up a silicon bung. Do not use rubber. Silicon is much more plyable and much more inert. Rubber not so much.

Ok.
I said 3 days based on the instructions.

Only problem will be waiting for the frozen crushed Chardonnay grapes to start thawing Monday, I am REALLY hoping they thaw by Tuesday..!!
In either case I have NO choice but wait for the grapes to thaw...

Ah, I miss that excitement. If we were not moving, I was planning to get a 30L barrel this spring and start it with Chilean Chardonnay juice. Maybe next year. ;)

BTW - I plan not to drain it but just drain the plastic tub and leave barrel inside as I don't have a stand yet

Where did you guys get your 8.5 silicone bung, none of my lhbs have it .
My favorite online place doesn't have it either...actually I can't seem to find it online....

Last edited:
I saw that one last night but it doesn't say it is 8.5, but it says it is designed to fit a small barrel though.

Is that one the 8.5 size you guys mentioned before?
Plus, that one is solid, I also need one to have an air lock, don't see that on the site....

I have purchased several of these from them and they fit just fine in a 23L Vadai. They only time you are going to need one with an airlock opening is a one time deal for your barrel fermented Chard. I would use the carboy one you have inserted in the barrel in the photos.

Oh, wait, I must be missing something.
Since I'm only used to carboys and we always use bung with air locks when aging....this practice is different when using a barrel?

Since this is my very first barrel, I am a newbie :D

So, once wine is fermented and cleared, then for aging in the barrel, no need for air lock, either a solid silicone or breathable bung can be used?

The barrel slowly leaks O2 into the wine constantly. That is what it is supposed to do. An airlock is pretty pointless really. You will want a solid stopper in place except for your chardonnay ferment.

Latest posts

Back