New 2.5 gallon oak barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMarNJ

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a 2.5 gallon oak barrel for Christmas and I’ve read about prepping it, etc. I have 20 gallons of cleared wine ready to rotate through it, and I know it will be a juggling act so that I don’t over-oak, but still get most of the wine through it.
Having only used carboys in the past, I’m having a hard time with the fact that I can’t see the wine in the barrel.
When filling it, how high. Like 1/2” below the bung hole?
If I put cleared wine into it, I guess I don’t have to be too worried about the racking cane sitting on the bottom when I rack out of it… but it doesn’t have a spigot so maybe I would rack into a carboy before bottling so I could make sure there is no sediment?
The bung hole is small but I think I can use the AIO bottle filling bung to fill it, but I won’t be able to see what’s going on. I guess I can practice with water first. But any insight or help will be appreciated. Thanks.

I got a 2.5 gallon oak barrel for Christmas and I’ve read about prepping it, etc. I have 20 gallons of cleared wine ready to rotate through it, and I know it will be a juggling act so that I don’t over-oak, but still get most of the wine through it.
Having only used carboys in the past, I’m having a hard time with the fact that I can’t see the wine in the barrel.
When filling it, how high. Like 1/2” below the bung hole?
If I put cleared wine into it, I guess I don’t have to be too worried about the racking cane sitting on the bottom when I rack out of it… but it doesn’t have a spigot so maybe I would rack into a carboy before bottling so I could make sure there is no sediment?
The bung hole is small but I think I can use the AIO bottle filling bung to fill it, but I won’t be able to see what’s going on. I guess I can practice with water first. But any insight or help will be appreciated. Thanks.
You are correct, you'll need to closely monitor the escalation in oakiness, probably every couple of days, til you get what you want. The oak will fall back slightly once bottled, so don't be afraid to push the envelope just a little bit.
In general, it's best to fill your barrel to the top, leaving zero air space, even if a little spills out when you seat the bung. 1/2" of airspace in a barrel will contain a lot more air than 1/2" air space in a bottle or jug. Even for a short sit, wine will seep into the wood and evaoparate, increasing the air space that you started with. That said, for the short period of time your wine will sit in the barrel, no need to be overly cautious about it, but the more you can eliminate the better.
No need to worry about the cane sitting on the bottom when you rack out, just let your wine sit in glass a while before you bottle, you'll then be able to avoid any sediment getting bottled.
When I'm filling my 60 gallon barrels, I simply siphon the wine from carboys into the barrel until it's full. Have a little pen light available to hold in one hand to light the inside of the barrel through the bung, you'll be able to see the wine level inside the barrel as it nears the top, and pinch off the flow with the other hand.

I have a 1/2 gallon wooden "decanter" -- it's a novelty, designed for use as a wine decanter for parties (has a spigot). Cute. I purchased it on a whim, and never used it. It sat in my attic for 25 years.

Last year I brought it down -- it was tremendously dried out, having 1/4" gaps between the staves. It was a complete wreck.

I filled it with water and it resembled a fountain! Just for the heckuvit, I filled a sink in my wine area with hot water and submerged it. It took nearly 2 weeks, but the barrel sealed. YAYYYYY!!!

I agree with @She’sgonnakillme that you want barrel wax on hand, but if yours is not 100% sealed, give it a few extra days. It might seal and surprise you.

Regarding my "barrel"? I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. It sat in my attic for decades and I can't see using it, even as a decanter, except may for box wine, and even then? There is an ick-factor I don't believe I'll get past. I'll probably keep it topped up every few months to keep it from drying out, and use it as a decoration.

BTW - this barrel evaporates FAST!

Latest posts

Back