New 23l Vadai barrel - finally got it

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: this picture just taken reveals like the new barrel is or has sealed properly so far.
No leaks on either head at all .
It still has a little sign of wetness near the hole but it is actually dry to the touch.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1425244876.566772.jpg

Close up...picture may look worse than what it actually is, but it is very dry all around.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1425244912.750683.jpg

Leaving filled as is for a couple days...starting thawing my not-picked-yet- frozen Chardonnay grapes....time is ticking....I'm gonna have to put those buckets in the plastic tub with HOT water to speed up the thawing process.....:D

Last edited:
Looks good but my two sense is that was too aggressive of a seal.... I do a hot water seal only and have never had a single leak. Trying to preserve as much of the original oak the barrel comes with intact.

Looks good but my two sense is that was too aggressive of a seal.... I do a hot water seal only and have never had a single leak. Trying to preserve as much of the original oak the barrel comes with intact.

Do you mean that you never fill it with hot water completely?

Started treating my 23 liter vadai last night. Checked this morning, after it was filled for about 20 hours and I noticed the outside was wet in one area. I just poured boiling water over it and refilled the barrel with hot water from the faucet. Hoping this will do the trick. Hate seeing that oaky water going down the drain. Btw: to you point, I've been using the wood bung while sealing. Should've been wrapped in separate plastic in your box? I have a drilled bung that fits. I'll add s type airlock and shop for solid bung eventually.

I have found that following Vadai instructions to the tee on a "Hot Water Seal" has always worked great for me and does not expose the barrel to a long period of soaking time.... In 48 hours it is ready for wine. I never soak in a tub of water....

Latest posts

Back