WineXpert need some help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sangwitch

Reaction score
I pitched the yeast already in the South African Shiraz and realized I forgot to add the oak. What should I do? I'm afraid pouring the oak on top of the yeast will choke them. Any suggestions??

I would say move the yeast to one side with a spoon and put the oak on the other until they soak up enough to sink.

Add the oak. You will not hurt the yeast. The sooner the better, as you will get more of the intended integration that occurs when fermented on the oak in primary. Since this is a shiraz, oak is very much part of the flavour profile.

make this batch without the oak. Then make another and use the oak. Then let us all taste both so we can tell what changes in taste and the difference the Oak makes.

On second thought I agree with Dean...as Tim V says "don't worry about the yeast as it knows what to do"

Thanks for the quick responses. My wine family is awesome!
smiley32.gif

I actually did the same thing with the Chianti and Pinot Gris, but since those kits only had 1 packet each I moved the yeast aside and poured those in. With the Shiraz it's four packets as y'all know. I'll add tomorrow morning after the yeasties get to doing their thang.

dean and masta - you don't think all that oak can choke out the oxygen?

Nope....you can give it a gentle stir if it makes you feel better!
smiley36.gif

Intersting thought,

The Mosti Mondiale Amarone directions say to add the oak in the Secondary fermentation......just a thought, although racking will be a pain!! I wonder if you could try it with the SA Shiraz.....

Tim Vandergrift said he just pours the yeast on top of the must and goes off to have a beer. He doesn't sprinkle, he doesn't make a starter. Pour and go. Your yeast will be just fine. Really. I used to bake for a living. Yeast is quite durable.

Francie said:
Intersting thought,

The Mosti Mondiale Amarone directions say to add the oak in the Secondary fermentation......just a thought, although racking will be a pain!!  I wonder if you could try it with the SA Shiraz.....

Depending on wine style and oak profile, you get two very different results with oak in the primary versus oak in the secondary. Oak in the primary will be more muted and will taste like it has been aged longer. For some reason the long chain tannins get built and fall out easier when oaking in the primary. In secondary, you get shorter chain tannins (a little more harsh), but a much stronger oak taste. Of course, this all depends on the amount of oak added, and what type of oak (sawdust, chips, or cubes).

I don't do anything special with my yeast either. I usually pour and gosame as Tim. My concernwas prompted because I didn't want to bury the yeast in four packets of saw dust in case that prevented themfrom gettingoxygen. Theoak packs for the Shirazare chips though, not saw dust,and if I had realized that I wouldn't have evenworried about it.

Anyway... I poured the oak in and gently stirred and things look fine. Thanks again everyone for your replies. I have to say it again... my wine family here kicks arse! As Cosmo would say, "giddyup!"

Latest posts

Back