Need Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, the sg is now at 1.012 @ 64degrees and still fermenting.
should i go ahead and rack and attach airlocks. I will be racking into 4 ea one gallon glass jugs.

Yes at that sg you can rack into your secondaries and let ferment dry then k-meta and sorbate if you plan on sweetening

Yes at that sg you can rack into your secondaries and let ferment dry then k-meta and sorbate if you plan on sweetening

yep ditto, 64* may be a bit low but if the sg is dropping slowly then your fine. lower temps do bring out more fruity flavors but the yeast can go dormant if they get too cold

Ok, SG has reached 1.006 @ 64.6degrees, I will now rack and attach airlocks.
Thanks to all of you that have given advice,It's really appreciated.

Whoa There Cowboy, things should go in the following order

1. let the wine finish fermenting to dry (this is confirmed by a few sg unchanging readings over a few days)(maybe another week or so)
2. Stabilize with K-meta and potassium Sorbate and let stand for a day or two
3. add F-pac (optional)
4. Back Sweeten (optional)
5. bulk age and allow to clear (generally 3 months to a year)(rack about every third month or so and add more K-meta at each racking
6. Bottle

You can rush this process (I know I have) however the more patients the better the wine.

I think the members here have you on the right track. Keep us posted on how it turns out. I have been thinking about starting a batch of Cranberry for Christmas next year but I am a little unsure because I really don't care for cranberrys. I just thought that it would be a popular wine around the holidays.

Thanks to everyone for walking me thur this, the wine came great , really nice color and flavor, will open the second bottle for Thanksgivng.

I have since made a batch of Blackberry and now started a batch of Cabernet Shiraz.

Cranapple & Cranberry wine

OK , Guys i just opened a bottle of cranapple /cranberry wine,it came great,i will start another batch for next year.

thanks to all of you for directions and help me with this.It is greatly appreciated.

PS : living in south Louisiana and growing plenty of satsuma oranges.
do you have a recipte using satsuma oranges. My first attempt at making wine was with satusma oranges,after ferminting for several weeks the juice was so sour that i threw it away,at the time i did not know of this web site.

Try going to Lon's website. skeeterpee.com. Use the skeeter pee recipe and substitute some orange juice for the lemon. Let us know how it comes out. Arne.

Ok , guys, making a batch of orange (Satusma wine) I've fermented , and racked 3 times, Sg is .0994 . i would like to add sugar and stabilizer before bottling. How much do stabilizer do i add for 6 gallons.

Ok , guys, making a batch of orange (Satusma wine) I've fermented , and racked 3 times, Sg is .0994 . i would like to add sugar and stabilizer before bottling. How much do stabilizer do i add for 6 gallons.

What do you mean by stabilizer? You should add a 1/8 tsp of k-meta and 1 1/2 tsp of sorbate, let it sit a few days than warm some of the wine add to dissolve some sugar in.

Welcome to a great forum! Lots of good people and information here.. Have fun!

Guess the wording is not correct, by say stabilizer i meant that i wanted to make sure that it would not start fermenting again.
thanks for the input, i have followed your instructions.
everyone has been so helpfull and it's really appreciated.

Latest posts

Back