Need Creative Way to Raise Must Ferm. Temp.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grancru

Reaction score
Can anyone share their creative methods for raising the temperature of wine must?

I will be using Maurivin B yeast this year as it has an alcohol tolerance of 14-15% and reduces up to 56% of the malic acid during primary fermentation.

The optimum temperature range for Maurivin B is 25–30ºC (77-86ºF).

After a 2 day cold soak at 50-60ºF I need to get the temp up a good 20 degrees and maintain.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Brew belt IMHO is your best bet. For something more immediate maybe immerse your fermentor in a a big bucket or tub of hot water. I've read here of folks using a big bucket or tub and an aquarium heating element to keep the water jacket warm without having to constantly exchang out cooled water for hot water.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a small room--like a dark room or a wood bin,etc.---you can put a portable electric heater in the room with the vat. This is what we do and it's a pretty low-tech thing but works really well.

I set the primary bucket in a utility sink and then fill the sink up with hot water.

unless you are in a remigrated environment the wine must will reach ambient temp in a few days after cold soak is done. use these days to add so2, enzyme etc before pitching yeast. temper the yeast with the must by adding some tablespoons full to your yeast hydrate continue until there is only about 15-20 degree difference. this will get the yeast used to the acid and temp environment of the must. you can speed the temp rise process by using an electric blanket if you have a large volume. heating pads will also work with a blanket cover to keep the heat in.

I am dealing with two 55 gallon white plastic barrels filled 3/4 of the way full. They are located in a large basement area. Will this belt fit around a 55 gal barrel?

Heating blankets seem to be the solution.

Thanks for the help!

Dam*, gone take a big utility sink to do it my way then.

I am dealing with two 55 gallon white plastic barrels filled 3/4 of the way full. They are located in a large basement area. Will this belt fit around a 55 gal barrel?

Heating blankets seem to be the solution.

Thanks for the help!

Portable space heater maybe. Up close.

Space heater with a blanket over them on top and back side to keep the heat in. Monitor closely!! Heater not too close to the blanket......

Alot of suggestions here.. All I can say is nothing works better than 300 watt submersible aquarium heaters.. your must will be at optimum temps within a couple hours

Like others - I use the aquarium heater or space heater with blankets holding the temperature. It really does not take long before fermentation takes over

For that kind of volume, your fermenatation temperature might hit 90+ without any kind of intervention on your end. Are you going to be fermenting on skins? Two of the options that seem available to me are. Honestly, If I was you, I would just get them up to temperature and I bet once fermentation kicks off you will be off to the races. If you are not sure, perhaps insulate the outside of them to keep the heat in.

Alternatively, you could find a large water tub and put them in it. And then heat the water tub with aquarium heaters as someone else has mentioned.

FYI, if you are fermenting that much in a basement, you might want to consider some kind of ventilation to ensure that CO2 does not build up.

Fill empty bleach bottles with hot water and drop them in the fermenter when you punch down,cover with blankets . trust me it works. Good Lck

That sounds horrifying.

I will be playing with brett and laco bacteria soon, so I bought an electric blanket to wrap around my 20 gallon fermenter. I will rig it up to a temperature controller. So hopefully this should work pretty well.

This is crude but that's how I'd describe me too.

I too work with must in food grade barrels (32 gal variety). I arrange them in a circle and in the center I put a space heater. On both sides of the space heater I place a wooden saw-horse.

I cover the whole shebang with a plastic tarp. Somewhere under the whole mess, I put a temperature gauge. The saw-horses ensure the tarp never touches the heater. If fact nothing should touch the heater.

I then step up the space heater setting over a day until the gauge reads the desired temperature.

Is this what I'd do given infinite time or resources? No. But I've made a few good batches this way and never a bad one.

Last edited:
Back