Neat tool I found

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that as a tool it is quite "neat" but I wonder if it is really necessary. If 1g of K-meta is more or less equal to 2 tablets (each tablet contains .44 g of K-meta plus filler) then all you need to do is dissolve 1 g in say 10 ccs of water and add 5 ccs of that solution to 1 gallon of wine or must...

I do believe that a 1/4 tsp of sulfite is equal to 1 tablet - correct ?

It does not say how much it holds in volume ?

I do believe that a 1/4 tsp of sulfite is equal to 1 tablet - correct ?

It does not say how much it holds in volume ?

Sorry Steve - Incorrect. 1 campden tablet will treat 1 gal. of must. 1/4 tsp of k-meta will treat 5 - 6 gal. of must. It would take 5 - 6 tablets to treat the same amount of must that 1/4 tsp of k-meta will treat.

LOUMIK:b

Sorry Steve - Incorrect. 1 campden tablet will treat 1 gal. of must. 1/4 tsp of k-meta will treat 5 - 6 gal. of must. It would take 5 - 6 tablets to treat the same amount of must that 1/4 tsp of k-meta will treat.

LOUMIK:b

Note: 1 tablet per gallon is to treat the JUICE to kill bacteria prior to fermentation.

4 tablets (1/4 tsp) per 6 gallons of WINE is what you use for storage purposes.

Thanks for the clarification - as I do not use tablets.

I really do not understand the purpose of this tool then ?
What is the volume that you are measuring out ? It seems like it is comparing sulfite level compared ti a tablet ?

I really do not understand the purpose of this tool then ?

If you have been brewing for years using campden tablets, and finally realize that powdered k-meta is cheaper ... That person has number of tablets memorized, and it is easier to scoop out the number of tablets they need than to convert to teaspoons.

You guys are all flying blind! The amount of K-meta to use is based off your ph and volume of wine.If your ph is really low you could be putting way too much meta in your wine and effecting your taste. On the other hand if your ph is high and you are putting too little in, your wine could spoil. I realize not everyone owns a vinmetrica or a way to measure S02, but you should at least know your ph. If you don't own either of these instruments, then yes I agree with 1/4 teaspoon of k-meta for 5-6 gallons of wine when racking. I am a strong opponent against campden tablets. Use powder k-meta and dissolve it in a bit of warm water first, then stir it into your wine.

I find it funny that we all have to crush up our campden tablets, yet this tool allows you to take powder and make a campden tablet out of it, only to have to re-crush it before using it!

Well, maybe not, it just struck me as funny!

this tool allows you to take powder and make a campden tablet out of it, only to have to re-crush it before using it!

It doesn't "make" a campden tablet. That would require binding agents to form the k-meta in to a tablet. The tool merely measures the same amount that is in a campden tablet. Thus, no "re-crushing" is required.

I don't feel they are dissolved properly when used and they use fillers which people report seeing them floating in the wine. I think using fresh meta dissolved in water is better and more effective. This is my personal opinion.

I'll toss an extra opinion in here, kmeta is so much cheaper and easier to use that I would never consider buying campden tablets.

I agree ^^

I have never started with tablets - I guess it might be easier if you were doing 1 gallon batches and you did not have a scale and all.

I agree ^^

I have never started with tablets - I guess it might be easier if you were doing 1 gallon batches and you did not have a scale and all.

Add 1/4 tsp to 6 ounces of water and stir. Add one ounce of the solution to your one gallon batch and use the rest for sanitizing or filling air locks.

Back