Natural or Synthetic Corks? May recork?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catawampus

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a couple of wines that I originally intended to drink quickly. I corked them with synthetic corks. Now, I am in a situation where I could lay them down for a a couple of years.

I was wondering if I should recork with natural corks? And if so, any pitfalls or anything I should be aware of? Or, should I just keep them and leave the synthetic in there?

Thanks!!

That is a personal opinion - I have used synthetic corks from the beginning as well as add some wax on the top as well. I just opened a plum wine last night that was made in 2008.
Not sure how many years you are talking about storing ?

I would honestly stay with the synthetic corks, if you are really concerned about it considering waxing the tops.

Thanks very much for the advice guys.

On the aging, I just wanted to shoot for a couple of years. So, what I'm taking away from this is to maybe wax the tops? Also, as the discussion/debate between synthetic/natural is a bit confusing, should wines be on their side with synthetics? Or, does it matter?

Thanks again very much!

I have used synthetic corks since the beginning too. Never a problem and have opened a few 4-5 years old I forgot about.

You can stand the bottles upright with synthetic corks giving you less wine to air ratio. Also standing up I can arrange different wines better as they won't roll into each other.

I think I read somewhere that synthetic corks won't work well with the cheaper hand held corkers, is this correct?

supposidly some corkers can score synthetic corks. I have not witnesed this.

The Portuguese corker can because the jaws are made out of plastic and when they wear they are like knifes cutting into the cork. That is one reason i wax even using synthetic corks.

I have a Portuguese floor corker and mine does etch the synthetic corks. I won't use synthetic corks anymore. I purchase a better real cork.

I have a Portuguese floor corker and mine does etch the synthetic corks. I won't use synthetic corks anymore. I purchase a better real cork.

It is because your jaws are worn out - replace them and you wont have a that problem.

Seriously, Nobody is going to testify on behalf of natural corks??

Well, I guess it is up to me..

Like others have said, it really is a personal choice. I prefer natural cork for a number of reasons...

Depending on the type, synthetic corks do not exactly mimic the micro oxidation that occurs with natural corks. I have found that, over time, wines will oxidize much more frequently with synthetic corks. Also, I find them harder in insert and even harder to pull. I can get my natural corks for 16 cents, far cheaper than the prices I have found for synthetic.

Of course, these are my findings and others may disagree.

Seriously, Nobody is going to testify on behalf of natural corks??

Well, I guess it is up to me..

Not just you; I've just been too flippin' busy lately! :)

Just received my order this morning, of 1.75" Grade 3 Natural Corks (Overrun)

My first time going from the agglomerated corks, to something more substantial, for longer-term aging in bottles. I'm really excited about using these.. Kinda neat, about 75% of them have Kendall Jackson markings before being branded over

However, having never used synthetics, I'm a bit biased..

I guess I must of had some bad experiences with cork - everytime i tried to uncork it - it would break apart in the bottle. Yes synthetics are a little more troublesome getting them in - but never had an issue getting them out.
I have for a long time have waxed my bottle tops - like they usto to do long time ago - not sure If I believe in the micro oxygen getting thru the cork.

The one big bonus is I can leave my bottles upright as I have very little storage space to lay them horizontally

Latest posts

Back