WineXpert Corks and aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handy Turnip

Reaction score
I've only been making wine from kits (generally whites from winexpert) for the past 2-3 years.

We generally drink them young because they taste good, so why not! But I like to leave a few bottles of each batch, just to see how they change over time

We've had a few bottles recently that have been at the 18mth mark that have either gone (oxidised) or we're on the brink.

I've been using #8 corks - could this be the reason why? Should I be using a #9?

I would say yes. The #8 are easier to get out of the bottle, but depending upon the exact ID of the bottle neck, a #8 might not fit tight. I've moved to synthetic #9, they are not that much more expensive and they insert and pull real easily. I've had zero issues with my Portuguese corker & Nomacorc.

Thanks raflinger - I suspected as much. The #8's seem to fit okay, and I'm not experiencing any leakage when they are stored on their side, but they're obviously not tight enough to stop oxidation once I get past 18mths.

I've started doing the Apres dessert/port kits, which I will naturally store for longer, so this becomes a bigger issue.

I'm struggling to find good quality #9 corks in the UK, not sure why!? I've ordered some #9 nomacorcs from the US - they are more expensive due to the postage but at least it will buy me some time to try and find a UK supplier. Plus I'll probably use them sparingly at first (i.e. only 5 bottles from each batch - knowing that the rest of the batch will be drunk within the first year).

That makes me feel better for insisting on #9s when the LHBS guys questioned my choice and said I should be using #8s. I don't make a lot of wine, but I make way more than I'll drink in 18 months.

I've ordered some #9 nomacorcs from the US
From where did you order these?

I haven't been able to find any european retailer so please let me know if you find one.

I have been buying corks from Belgium; for short term - these Wine cork TWINCORK NORM 39mm 100 pcs rated for +5 years or these for longer term - Wine cork TWINCORK EXTRA 45mm 100 pcs. I haven't got any issues with these, no leakage or oxidation. They also have natural corks of different quality level and sizes but these are more expensive than the twincorks I'm using.

From where did you order these?

I haven't been able to find any european retailer so please let me know if you find one.

I have been buying corks from Belgium; for short term - these Wine cork TWINCORK NORM 39mm 100 pcs rated for +5 years or these for longer term - Wine cork TWINCORK EXTRA 45mm 100 pcs. I haven't got any issues with these, no leakage or oxidation. They also have natural corks of different quality level and sizes but these are more expensive than the twincorks I'm using.
I ordered them from eBay, but they were crazy money. I think the postage was more than the product! But I'll only use them on a handful in each batch, so should last a while if I can't find an alternative.
I had a look at those ones from Belgium - they look good, but don't deliver to the UK. I'm going on a serious hunt for some good quality #9's - I'll let you know if I find any!!!

Currently taking a look at this site - they seem to have a wide range of natural corks, with 4 different grades of quality (super, 1st, 2nd, 3rd)

https://www.corkstore.co.uk/wine-corks-37-c.asp
They have 1+1 Corks that are made the same way as the twincorks I’m buying from Belgium.
On a side note, puzzled by the ”weights” under details. I assume they are having problems with metric units.

I've only been making wine from kits (generally whites from winexpert) for the past 2-3 years.

We generally drink them young because they taste good, so why not! But I like to leave a few bottles of each batch, just to see how they change over time

We've had a few bottles recently that have been at the 18mth mark that have either gone (oxidised) or we're on the brink.

I've been using #8 corks - could this be the reason why? Should I be using a #9?
Why not use #8 for early drinkers and the more expenses #9 synthetic to age.

I've ordered a batch of the nomacorc #9 (which cost a fortune due to the postage), and some decent quality natural #9s. I've also still got some good quality #8s.

So I'll probably do a 3 way split - #8s for those that I know will get drunk in the first 6mths, the natural #9s for those that will last 6-12mths, and then the nomacorc #9s for anything over 12mths.

And no doubt I'll have some comparative taste testing into there to assess the difference!!

The bulk of my country wines hit their stride at about 12 months. Not wasting $$ on #8 corks and chancing problems. Nor will I waste $$ on Nomacorc since none my wine hits 24 months. I'll stick to the #9.
That is a totally sensible solution.

I switched to Nomacorc Select 900's as my storage conditions often result in mold on the outside of a natural cork. Nomacorc solved that problem. I use the Select 900 (typically sold without a part #) as my whites and fruit are gone in 1 to 3 years, my reds mostly gone in 1 to 5 years (a few may go longer), so buying longer lasting corks is a waste. I buy in larger lots to get a better price, and it's simpler for me to put the same cork in each bottle. If I used different corks based upon the expected shelf life, I'd certainly screw up on occasion.

Yes that makes sense, and I'm sure over time I'll work out which cork works best and then stick to that for everything.

But while I've got a selection of corks to use, I might as well use them and get some learnings from them. And splitting the corking and storing differently is relatively easy (and something I've done before for other reasons) so no issues there.

Anyone using a Portuguese floor corker with Norma's ? Happy with results?

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back