Natural corks, price vs value,

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheesh

Reaction score
Being one who is doomed to believing you get what you pay for, how can label peelers sell what they say is a high quality natural cork for a third of the price charged elsewhere? I need to get corks soon and would love to save the money, but color me sceptical.

Being one who is doomed to believing you get what you pay for, how can label peelers sell what they say is a high quality natural cork for a third of the price charged elsewhere? I need to get corks soon and would love to save the money, but color me sceptical.

I cannot recall for sure -- it may have been @Rocky ? -- but someone pointed out that LabelPeelers is a 15 minute drive from LD Carlson. So the theory is that Labelpeelers saves on warehousing and shipping by just using LD Carlson as their local "warehouse."

I cannot say if that explains it, but I like the theory!

1591670157159.png

You don’t always get what you pay for, but most of the time, you do pay for what you get.F2A91324-4FF9-43E6-AF8E-18C2B601F24E.png1FB0AEA1-478C-4508-8BDF-564F8C9FBE9E.png
These corks are only rated for 4-6 years of storage and are agglomerated, hardly a premium cork, and pricing you can get close to on other sites.

Real “Premium” corks made from 100% solid cork can indeed cost 3 times this much, and usually do for the upper end of the solid cork quality spectrum. I use these solid premium corks on all of my wines, but if you’re just looking to bottle your wine for a few years max, don’t waste the money.

Last edited:
My wife likes that peach/Chardonnay stuff. She will start drinking it about a month after its bottled. short term corks.
I also make high end kits. Nomacore corks

I've recently started using colmated corks, the specific brand being Acquamark. Colmated corks are solid wine corks that didn't make one of the solid cork grades due to small holes and cavities. Acquamark fills these cavities with a water based sealant. The result is a very nice looking wine cork.

While I haven't seen any long term storage study on them, my decision to use colmated corks going forward is on them have the sealing qualities of a solid cork but selling at a agglomerated cork price; thus, they represent good value.

This is to relate my personal experience and is for information only. I would like to impart some facts that I have gleaned regarding the "premium corks" sold by Label Peelers. (Let me say at the outset, I like Label Peelers and have always been pleased with their products and services.)

When I say "premium corks," I am referring to the cork with an agglomerated center and natural cork discs on each end. My son-in-law and I purchased about 3000 of these over the years and had had no issues. I used them for all of my wines, red and white, with no problems. However, on the last batch I we purchased, we began to experience difficulties when opening some whites and the corks were breaking down upon both insertion and removal. (Note: I use an Italian floor corker to insert and I use a worm corkscrew with open center to remove.)

Being a manufacturing type, I immediately suspected that something had changed in the corks so I called Label Peelers to see if they had changed their source and they said they had not. I called L. D. Carlson and asked if they had changed their supplier and they said they had. I returned what I had in stock (about 600) to Label Peelers and they gave me a full credit against the purchase of Nomacorcs, which are what I now use.

Last edited:
I've used the 1+1 Grade A corks with the natural ends from Widgetco for years and never had a problem with them. The price is reasonable and they've held up well in wines up to 6 years old. I've recently switched to Nomacorc from LabelPeelers to give them a try. But I have my doubts about them. I don't like the idea that they're only 1 1/2" long rather then the standard 1 3/4" for a No. 9. Plus I've read stories about bottles exploding as the Nomocorc is being inserted and stories about them cementing themselves into the bottle after a few years, making removal almost impossible. Nomacorc makes several grades of corks and LabelPeelers doesn't specify which one they have other than to say they're good for 10+ years. I'm guessing they're the Select 900 since that's what most home brew shops carry and that's what LD Carlson has.

I've used the 1+1 Grade A corks with the natural ends from Widgetco for years and never had a problem with them. The price is reasonable and they've held up well in wines up to 6 years old. I've recently switched to Nomacorc from LabelPeelers to give them a try. But I have my doubts about them. I don't like the idea that they're only 1 1/2" long rather then the standard 1 3/4" for a No. 9. Plus I've read stories about bottles exploding as the Nomocorc is being inserted and stories about them cementing themselves into the bottle after a few years, making removal almost impossible. Nomacorc makes several grades of corks and LabelPeelers doesn't specify which one they have other than to say they're good for 10+ years. I'm guessing they're the Select 900 since that's what most home brew shops carry and that's what LD Carlson has.

Where do you buy the Widgetco corks? They may be what I was using for years with no problem and L. D. Carlson went away from them to a new manufacturer. I have the same concerns about the Nomacorcs as you do and frankly, I don't like using rubber.

Disregard above, I found Widgetco on line. Fairly nice pricing and free delivery. They certainly have a selection!

If anyone is interested: Wine Corks - Buy Bulk Wine Corks or Small Lots | WidgetCo

Last edited:
. as a ten year Nomacorn user haven‘t ever seen one stuck and haven’t seen one fracture so only part comes out
. as an industry type, the length has no relation to efficiency as an oxygen/ air barrier, I can buy a multilayered 20 mil plastic which is a better barrier than 1 3/4” of natural cork
. I can see that Nomacorc builds up pressure and holds that pressure for the life of the product, a natural or a fabricated cork will bleed excessive pressure in about three days (after which the risk of pushing wine into the cork is done and we should lay the bottle flat)
. removal of Nomacorc inserted with a vacuum sealer is harder than either ambient sealing or natural cork
. the mouth of a bottle is cone shape, such that when we pull a cork out we are forcing the cork to be compressed as it is pulled out
I've recently switched to Nomacorc from LabelPeelers to give them a try. But I have my doubts about them. I don't like the idea that they're only 1 1/2" long rather then the standard 1 3/4" for a No. 9. Plus I've read stories about bottles exploding as the Nomocorc is being inserted and stories about them cementing themselves into the bottle after a few years, making removal almost impossible. Nomacorc makes several grades of corks and LabelPeelers doesn't specify which one they have other than to say they're good for 10+ years. I'm guessing they're the Select 900 since that's what most home brew shops carry and that's what LD Carlson has.

Where do you buy the Widgetco corks? They may be what I was using for years with no problem and L. D. Carlson went away from them to a new manufacturer. I have the same concerns about the Nomacorcs as you do and frankly, I don't like using rubber.

Disregard above, I found Widgetco on line. Fairly nice pricing and free delivery. They certainly have a selection!

If anyone is interested: Wine Corks - Buy Bulk Wine Corks or Small Lots | WidgetCo

Yep! I've always bought them direct from Widgetco. Shipping is fast, too!!

NormaCorcs are excellent. They are not rubber. They come in different lengths and grades depending on intended use. I bottled 300 bottles of wine with them last fall and not one single issue. You can buy them on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Reserva-Wine...KX0DER&qid=1592224828&s=merchant-items&sr=1-2
The Reserva corcs are their best, and likely not needed by most home wine makers. I like the Select Green 300s. Good for 10-15 years, and likely longer. They are not green, but green in the environmental sense. I believe they are made from sugar cane.

https://www.amazon.com/Select-Green...KX0DER&qid=1592224828&s=merchant-items&sr=1-1
The Select 900 Normacorcs are their least expensive corc (sic), and that's what most local brew shops sell. They also compress easier for hand bottling equipment, though the Ferrari floor corker has no problems with the higher grade ones. Several vendors sell bags of just 30 on Amazon if you want to try them out.

NormaCorcs are excellent. They are not rubber. They come in different lengths and grades depending on intended use. I bottled 300 bottles of wine with them last fall and not one single issue. You can buy them on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Reserva-Wine...KX0DER&qid=1592224828&s=merchant-items&sr=1-2
The Reserva corcs are their best, and likely not needed by most home wine makers. I like the Select Green 300s. Good for 10-15 years, and likely longer. They are not green, but green in the environmental sense. I believe they are made from sugar cane.

https://www.amazon.com/Select-Green...KX0DER&qid=1592224828&s=merchant-items&sr=1-1
The Select 900 Normacorcs are their least expensive corc (sic), and that's what most local brew shops sell. They also compress easier for hand bottling equipment, though the Ferrari floor corker has no problems with the higher grade ones. Several vendors sell bags of just 30 on Amazon if you want to try them out.

I no longer trust Amazon for anything where quality or authenticity is important. There are waaaaaaay too many comments about fake items being sold there. I certainly wouldn't trust Amazon for wine corks.

I no longer trust Amazon for anything where quality or authenticity is important. There are waaaaaaay too many comments about fake items being sold there. I certainly wouldn't trust Amazon for wine corks.

So you've "heard stories" about exploding bottles and you've read "way too many comments" about fake "items" and that's how you make a decision about buying wine corks? I have actual experience buying Normacorcs on Amazon's website and it's just fine.

I think you are being waaaaaaay too paranoid. If you buy the small bags of Normacorcs, they actually come from Northern Brewer and other similar places. The bags of 1000 come directly from Vinventions who makes Normacorcs. They nice part about Amazon, is that if you get something that you don't feel is exactly right, they take it back with no questions, and pay for the return shipping.

I'm not advocating for Amazon anyway, just pointing out a good source for products (Normacorc variations other than select 900) that are otherwise hard to find in consumer level quantities.

So you've "heard stories" about exploding bottles and you've read "way too many comments" about fake "items" and that's how you make a decision about buying wine corks? I have actual experience buying Normacorcs on Amazon's website and it's just fine.

I think you are being waaaaaaay too paranoid. If you buy the small bags of Normacorcs, they actually come from Northern Brewer and other similar places. The bags of 1000 come directly from Vinventions who makes Normacorcs. They nice part about Amazon, is that if you get something that you don't feel is exactly right, they take it back with no questions, and pay for the return shipping.

I'm not advocating for Amazon anyway, just pointing out a good source for products (Normacorc variations other than select 900) that are otherwise hard to find in consumer level quantities.

I make my decisions about buying wine corks based on the integrity of the vendor and the quality of the corks. Amazon is not a vendor I trust. I'll give you just one good example: Aspects hummingbird feeders. These are not cheap feeders - they run from about $23 to $40. They are excellent - made in USA, top quality and come with a lifetime guarantee. I own several of them. But despite what you might see on Amazon, the company does not sell any of their products on Amazon. Sure you can buy an Aspects feeder on Amazon. It'll say Aspects; it'll look like an Aspects feeder; but it'll be flimsy, cheaply made and when you try to cash in on the warranty, you'll get a response from them telling you that they do not sell on Amazon. The feeders on Amazon are "made in China" knock-offs. I've seen the same situation on expensive cookware. Birkenstock no longer sells on Amazon; Nike is pulling out because of counterfeit products being sold by third party vendors. An investigation by the Wall Street Journal found that Amazon has listed thousands of banned, unsafe or mislabeled products from dangerous children’s products to electronics with fake certifications. Stories by responsible, well known organizations about counterfeit goods being sold on Amazon are all over the internet. Like I said ..... I don't trust Amazon for anything where quality and authenticity are important.

When I say "premium corks," I am referring to the cork with an agglomerated center and natural cork discs on each end. My son-in-law and I purchased about 3000 of these over the years and had had no issues.
Rocky, please put your engineer/vintner hat on. What is your preferred cork and why? 1+1 corks, nomacorc, etc.

Rocky, please put your engineer/vintner hat on. What is your preferred cork and why? 1+1 corks, nomacorc, etc.

Hey Dawg, considering price/performance, I prefer the 1+1 if they perform without problems. I used them for years without problems but a batch from a new manufacturer gave me trouble. If price were no object, I would use top grade 100% natural corks, like these:

https://www.widgetco.com/wine-corks-flor-quality-24-45
However, price is a consideration as is the fact that I don't need a cork that lasts for more than 10 years because the wine would be used long before that. I am now using Nomacorcs and they seem to perform well, easy to insert and remove and they do not come apart. I do not like the fact that they are 1 1/2" long (I have 30 or so that are 1 3/4" that I bought on eBay) and I don't like using a polymer in my winemaking for no other reason than it is "non-traditional." I feel the 1 + 1 is an acceptable compromise between 100% natural and agglomerate.

Back