My Zin - Too much oak or KMET

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacci

Reaction score
Tasted my RJS - WS Zin today and not sure if the taste was too much oaked or KMET. I used 2 American Toast Spirals for 3 months then racked offthe oakfor another 3 months of bulk ageing. Added 1/4 tsp of Kmet each time. When taking my half glass sample today, I used a sanitized thief that wasn't thatwell drained and thought maybe that was what I tasted? Guess I'll leave another monthor two and try again?Not sure If Ilike the American oak.

Vic, from what you have written here, it does not seem that you have done anything wrong. When you say the thief was not well drained, I assume you mean that some of the k-meta was still in it when you took the sample. The amounts you added are fairly standard and the small amount that could have been in the thief would not have a long term effect. In a month or two, I think it will be fine.

What toast was the spirals Bacci ? I personally prefer French & Hungarian but a lot of people use and like American oak too. You will be able to tell more in about 6 months or so if it is overoaked.

Thanks ya'll, I was sure looking forward to bottling this week, but probably best to taste again in a month. American Med toast is what I used on the Zin, and both spirals might have been a little too much. Would the oak mellow out in the bottlesooner thanin acarboy? I'm finding that French MedToast seems to be the way to go for my tastes vs. AM/HG oak.

Thats a lot of oak for sure but oak and sulfite are two very different beast. Like Waldo I don't care much for American Oak. The flavor profile is way too strong/harsh for my taste.

Latest posts

Back