My wine making crap hole

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now would be a good time to buy the pavers cause of the season and the sales. No one wants to lay pavers outside in the winter. But inside would be nice.......a little tough getting them all downstairs though.
now get out there and do some shoppin

Later......WB

My basement is a walk in and the wine room is right next to that door so thats nit the problem, its cash right now from buying my parents a generator due to that storm we had so Im all tapped out. I do see pavers or similar in the future though!

Sarah, we need to show you how to disguise your carboys. Place a sweater over them, add a lampshade to them and place on a table. Use them as a centerpiece. Use any nook and cranny, use all those dark places that husbands never look into like the dishwasher, the hamper, the washing machine. Get creative and before long you will have amassed a ton of places to secure your carboys from wandering eyes.

The washing machine? whats that?
Seriously though maybe a good degassing idea! Agitate!

Like Sarah Rides my wine overflows our home. Except the 2 baths downstairs and the bath upstairs, I have wine stuff everywhere! And we have a big home 3,000 square ft! I just cannot believe the stuff I have amassed plus all the wine. All the wine stuff when not in use will go in the wine cellar we are having built and I will bring what I need inside when I am making wine because I will make it in the kitchen. Then that "stuff" will be put it back in the cellar when I am finished.
You will get there winebreath, seems everyone does sooner or later!

I miss my basement I had in MI and wished they built basements here in NC.

You think you got it bad. At least your floor is not dirt like mine.

IMG_1067-1.jpg

But, if it works . . . . .

I built a rack just about identical to that. I'd cover the front of it with a black cloth to keep the light off it, especially the florescent that's right next to it. You can pick up material by the yard fairly cheap at any craft store, sewing store, etc.

Nobody who has a dedicated winemaking area can really gripe, IMHO, no matter how it is.

Here's how I make mine:

1.) All carboys, bottling needs, bottling equipment and supplies are stored in cabinets in my farm shop. Get wheelbarrow and schlep those into house.

2.) My "winemaking area" is in an enclosed porch/sunroom off the kitchen. Water is in the kitchen. Yep, every need for water is accompanied by a two-way trip into the kitchen. Every need to clean or sanitize is a trip into the kitchen. Every box of bottles must be carried in the kitchen, sanitized, then carried out to the sunroom.

3.) At the end of the endeavor, load wheelbarrow with stuff not needed and schlep it out to the shop to be put away.

I get my exercise when I make wine, and I try to plan every move out for minimum trips. What I wouldn't give for a basement, dirt floor or not. :(

Nobody who has a dedicated winemaking area can really gripe, IMHO, no matter how it is.

Here's how I make mine:

1.) All carboys, bottling needs, bottling equipment and supplies are stored in cabinets in my farm shop. Get wheelbarrow and schlep those into house.

2.) My "winemaking area" is in an enclosed porch/sunroom off the kitchen. Water is in the kitchen. Yep, every need for water is accompanied by a two-way trip into the kitchen. Every need to clean or sanitize is a trip into the kitchen. Every box of bottles must be carried in the kitchen, sanitized, then carried out to the sunroom.

3.) At the end of the endeavor, load wheelbarrow with stuff not needed and schlep it out to the shop to be put away.

I get my exercise when I make wine, and I try to plan every move out for minimum trips. What I wouldn't give for a basement, dirt floor or not. :(

Having a basement doesn't help me much. I do all the wine making down there but have no sink, etc. So........ all the washing has to done up in the kitchen - 14 steps up; 14 steps back down. For every trip you make to and from the sunroom, I have to make the same trip from the basement to the kitchen and back again. As you said.......plenty of exercise!!!

Right now I make my wine in the "kitchette" area. We made it my office/wine area. I sit at my desk with carboys,bottles etc all around me. When bottled,it goes in racks in my bedroom. Can't wait to move to the house.

Well it's been over a year......

since I have updated this thread. I got a email notice that someone posted a comment and that reminded me of this thread.
I have been mostly brewing beer lately but still have some wines and skeeter Pee a brewing also. My basement has turned into the 'TangleFoot Tavern' and brewery. Friends and family show up quite often.
We had a big party for me last March 24th when I turned 60:sh
Here are of few pic's of how it is now.

P2070001.JPG

P2070005.JPG

P2070006.JPG

PC180022.JPG

PC180018.JPG

Also done some work outside...

The back side of our house was a real mess for years and I finally got fed up with it so I poured a little concrete added some large stones that I dug out of my pasture for part of the patio. built the stone wall around my grills and smokers and thru up a pergola(SP?).
We really enjoy the back side of our house now, in fact you can see my wife sittin' an relaxxin' in the pic's. These pic's are from last late summer.

P9030007.JPG

P9030006.JPG

P9030004.JPG

P9030013.JPG

P9030012.JPG

P9030011.JPG

WOW, when is the next party, I want to come. Awesome setup. Congrats on the big 60!

Back