My wine making crap hole

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that sink down there also in the next room, its not hooked up yet though.

I have that sink down there also in the next room, its not hooked up yet though.

Winebreath,
Where are you located. Know there is a new Menards in Salina, so figure you are close to there. We spend most summer weekends at Glen Elder. Had a big party down there this weekend. The Elder-Pee was a big hit. TAke care, Arne

Winebreath,
Where are you located. Know there is a new Menards in Salina, so figure you are close to there. We spend most summer weekends at Glen Elder. Had a big party down there this weekend. The Elder-Pee was a big hit. TAke care, Arne

Arne, you are right, I farm about 20 miles SE of Salina. Boy do I like that new store....I could get in trouble in there:D
Later....WB

a little update

This is the area that I am going to put in my sink and cabinets, about 8' of work area. Gonna get some unfinished oak front cabinets from Menards with a 6' countertop. Will get the plumbing that I need also. Got the old plumbing tore out (which used to be hooked up to a cistern that is still by our house.
I want to get this small area done first to help in my wine making and to get buckets and carboys out of the kitchen and living area.

The other areas that I want to do eventally is dirt floor right now. There is a 14X14 area that I would like to turn into a social area then another 9X12 area that I want to make into a bedroom (which would be great for the wife and I during the summer months as it stays cool down there.

But that is down the road.....gonna concentrate on my small area first.

Wish me luck
Later WB

P5220001.JPG

P5220006.JPG

P5220004.JPG

Good Luck. You are well on you way with the space cleaned out and idea's in mind. You'll do well and like the post above said "don't try to keep up with the Jones". Pass the b*stards up! :)

Will do Sir........but they ain't no Jones' close around these parts. Let alone anyone with a wine makin' cellar:sm

That makes you "the man"!!! You will be the envy of all of your friends, family and neighbors! Keep asking questions and we'll help you along the way with anything you need.

You've got what most of us keep looking for and that's available space - start small and in time you will have a place to be proud of.

You've got what most of us keep looking for and that's available space - start small and in time you will have a place to be proud of.

That's kinda my plan. Gonna get my wine/brew making area done first then we will see what happens.
Later WB-out

As far as cabinets go, I'd suggest watching craigslist or auctions for some stainless steel used restaurant tables. You can often find it at a good price and it cleans well and won't have issues with humidity that wood can. I got my stainless table with shelf and drawers for like $30 and it has been a great addition. Lots of room and strong.

Lon......good point and I have been wondering about this myself as I work down there and the 'wood' cabinets that I am looking at are the cheapos with mostly partical board only oak fronts....not good in humidity. I have been checking out some of the cabinets for shops but they are pricey too.
I'll be checking this out more
Thanks for the direction
Later........WB

I do use a dehumidifier all the time in my basement set on the lowest setting. It rarely comes on except when I am washing a lot of bottles. One year when I had it shut off and forgot to turn it back on the bottles started sweating in the summer so I just leave it on.

I do use a dehumidifier all the time in my basement set on the lowest setting. It rarely comes on except when I am washing a lot of bottles. One year when I had it shut off and forgot to turn it back on the bottles started sweating in the summer so I just leave it on.

Sweaty bottles?? Dan have you been exercising them too much? Arne.

update

well, I've been working my tail off in this old basement. Built a wall to separate my brew area from our food storage area. Got the sink installed and hooked up. Repaired a crack in the wall. Set up a couple storage racks that I used on the food side. The wife said she would get me a work bench from Sam's Club for fathers day (really heavy duty).
When we remodeled this old house there was a walk in door from the outside to the basement that was hardly ever used so we took it out and covered it over, just use the door to basement off of our back porch. The stairway is kind of a U shape and narrow. Well that made for no way to get Sheetrock/studs etc down there. Soo...had to install a new door where the old one used to be, now a strait shot down the stairs.

A couple of shots of my progress

P5300001.JPG

P5300002.JPG

You can get those shelves at Sam's club or any big box store. They are rated for a decent amount of weight and go together in just a few minutes. Plus you can adjust the shelves at any height you want.

Latest posts

Back