My wild vine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score
My wild vine (NOW with grape pic)

The entire front half of my farm was once a vineyard. When we arrived, it had all pretty much gone away. Our livestock ate the rest.

But now I have noticed over the past 2 years a grape growing in a cedar tree, in a sideyard of the farm that is not pastured and once was rows of grapes. It's probably from a bird dropping, but I like to fantasize that it is somehow a survivor, protected by the low branches of the tree.

In last year's drought, it produced a sparse crop of black, raisin sized fruit, very hard. The crop was eaten by the birds. It makes me wonder if the fruit is unusable, or whether it was just the dry and shady conditions.

This year, I am allowing it to grow again, though its time is limited since it is taking over the tree. Probably next year, I will take some cuttings and I will be forced to cut it out. It's a mystery plant right now.

Last edited:
jswordy....the last pick showed the underside as a whitish color.
you sure those are not mustang grapes...looks like it to me...but i am no grapevine expert.
i have a treeline on a road about 1 mile long, it is completely full of them.
last year didnt get any, this year its a bumper crop.

We had probably discussed this a while back while reliving the good ol' days, but I can remember three years ago getting excited over some vines that were growing on my grandfathers old farm. He died back in Sept. '73, but on a hillside, he had a Concord vineyard that as a kid I can remember running up and down the rows of grapes and of course I can remember eating those grapes. Back 4 or 5 years ago, when I first became interested in growing some old grapes, I had mentioned to my brother that I wish that I had a start from the old grapes from the farm. He told me that ever year while cutting and bailing the grass, there were grapes growing on that hillside. I checked that hillside for a couple of years but never seen anything and then one day I was walking through and there was this row of grapes just visible above the tall grass. My brother brought the tractor over and cut around the area and I marked them so that they would not be cut and bailed. I stuck a couple of old metal posts in the ground and strung a wire only to find out that they were wild grapes. They are still there, but so much for thinking that they were Concords. I have always wondered if they could have been Concords that over the years have reverted to a wild grape? I need to run that by a plant science guy some time.

IMG_0738.jpg

jswordy....the last pick showed the underside as a whitish color.
you sure those are not mustang grapes...looks like it to me...but i am no grapevine expert.
i have a treeline on a road about 1 mile long, it is completely full of them.
last year didnt get any, this year its a bumper crop.

According to Keller, mustang doesn't grow this far North. The predominant wild grape here is muscadine. But who knows? We never used to have armadillos, but we got 'em now! I'm awaiting the fruit again, but I don't think it will be telling until I have a rooted cutting growing in full sun.

I am no expert by far...the Catawba looks just like the ones I have, which I thought were Muscadines, but a botanist visitor tells me no...there mustang.
Maybe all the grapes are the same, just different characters with temp,dirt,etc.
If it looks good and taste good I eat it, now make wine out of it..LOL

If the grapes were black and looked like raisins, they probably had gotten black rot because that is how they look when they get it. If so, you will never eat them as they get shriveled and hard. If you propagate them and keep them disease free, then you can see what they produce.

If the grapes were black and looked like raisins, they probably had gotten black rot because that is how they look when they get it. If so, you will never eat them as they get shriveled and hard. If you propagate them and keep them disease free, then you can see what they produce.

I took a couple green cuttings. We'll see. What's the stuff for black rot?

To me they look like Vitis bicolor, which definitely grows in cold regions, a version of aestivalis.

Guess I'll have to see by fruit if it produces this year. Too far north and east for mustang; too far south for vitis bicolor. I think it's most likely to be muscadine or catawba. Interesting it should pop up in the last couple years. I hope the cuttings take, since I will definitely have to cut it out of the tree before it takes over.

Now I have green grapes, and yep, it's either aestavalis or bicolor. Doubt I'll have enough of a crop to make a gallon of wine, though.

All things considered, I'll likely just remove it as a weed after observing it this year.

You can take a clump of the grapes and leaves to the co-op extension office. Make sure you have leaves and grapes on the sample. They have what is called a "key" to identify them. I know because we both volunteered in the co-op extension office to identify what residents brought in for identification using a "key". Look under co-op extension under your county.

I believe these are a "Black Spanish" grape. It is an aestavalis variety. And it is Lenoir, says the Web.

Look at this...

Now look at my young leaves...

Plus I do have a bunch grape growing, as shown by the bunch I photographed last evening. So it looks real likely. If so, I MUST propagate them before I remove the parent.

It could be, but I still doubt it is anything other than an aestavalis variety. I also grow black Spanish, and honestly your plant looks closer to norton than Lenoir. Wild aestavalis can produce some wonderful looking clusters. Next year when they bloom, see if the variety is single sexed or a hermaphrodite. That will answer your question right there.

Some have ripened now. They are almost black and a slip-skin grape. Locals would call them a "muscadine" generically.

Back