My wild vine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is all I have to show for what the grapes on the vine look like. I have had a grand total of four; the birds get them quick, and because the vine's in a cedar tree I can't net it. It's about 1/2-3/4 inch wide, green fruit, sweet juice, bitter skin. Would be good for wine if I want to start cuttings elsewhere.

Been so little sun here this year all the grapes are having a hard time ripening. Even my blueberries are largely unripe as-yet.

That's a nice size berry. I done some wild wine every year, but have to get the ladder out to reach some of the clusters.

That's a nice size berry. I done some wild wine every year, but have to get the ladder out to reach some of the clusters.

I agree on the berry. The vine looks to be I'd guess ~ 2 years old. It has some wood now, and I'd love to transplant some but I doubt I can get the site prepped in time this year. Soooo ... looks like it survives another year. I think it has potential if cultivated.

Here I am a year later dredging up this old mystery vine thread to let everyone know it is indeed a muscadine. More rain this year and a better established vine are yielding classic muscadine grapes.

Back