My Second Batch....Altered Dragon's Blood.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had real slow starts to my ferments with DB and SP recipes. I have tweeked every recipe as well. Give it a while it should start soon. Did not see where you added any yeast nutrient or energizer? What yeast did you use. The high acidity of lemon juice can be a real killer to some strains. Pitch some nutrient and energizer and you should get an explosion.

your post is a little confusing...all you need for the fruit is a paint strainer bag, purchased at any hardware store for 2.00 for 2 5 gallon.
campden definetly slows down the ferment, and counter acts with pectin enzyme.
simple syrup is not used until it is in secondary are when it is dry.
It would be better to follow directions if you could...

You definately tweaked the daylights out of that recipe, RMWO! I'd say the acid and the sulfite are slowing your start. It may take a while to get going, or require another yeast application after the sulfite dissipates a bit.

I can not understand why so many do not follow the recipe as is...
Variation of fruits i think are great, but they change the fruit, then the chemicals, then add, vanilla,choclate,pomegranite,grape juice,banana
apricots,apple juice,cherry juice,lime lemon,grapefrut,coconut,black tea,green tea,beer,mint,pecans,peanuts,raisins,dates, and on and on and on.
If you make daves dragon blood as his recipe, you can not go wrong....
Period.
If you change the fruit,are ratio great...by why does everyone want to add everything but the kitchen sink...
Sorry for the rant.....

just go buy some fruit punch add vodka, and anything else you want......
then go throw up when its awful....

I think part of the issue you are having is that most comercial lemon juices already have sulfite in them. Thus when you added more sulfite it is likely giving your yeast a hard time. BTW, what is the SG? I would imagine it is leaning toward the high side. Too much sugar can cause fermentation trouble as well..

I would recomend splash racking the must a few times to try and bind some of those sulfites.

your post is a little confusing...all you need for the fruit is a paint strainer bag, purchased at any hardware store for 2.00 for 2 5 gallon.
campden definetly slows down the ferment, and counter acts with pectin enzyme.
simple syrup is not used until it is in secondary are when it is dry.
It would be better to follow directions if you could...

It wasn't confusing for others.....

just go buy some fruit punch add vodka, and anything else you want......
then go throw up when its awful....

Are you speaking from experience???

I can not understand why so many do not follow the recipe as is...
Variation of fruits i think are great, but they change the fruit, then the chemicals, then add, vanilla,choclate,pomegranite,grape juice,banana
apricots,apple juice,cherry juice,lime lemon,grapefrut,coconut,black tea,green tea,beer,mint,pecans,peanuts,raisins,dates, and on and on and on.
If you make daves dragon blood as his recipe, you can not go wrong....
Period.
If you change the fruit,are ratio great...by why does everyone want to add everything but the kitchen sink...
Sorry for the rant.....

I also can't understand why so many people, that are "Experts", have to rant.

Unless, you're bringing something positive and helpful, you're not needed (NOR WANTED) here....

Go practice Rant in front of a bathroom mirror and then start a thread on what happens.

:h

Last edited:
I agree.
This is not following a recipe, which is proven.
**I upped the sugar from 20 cups to 30 cups....

**I also upped the recommended lemon juice from 48 to 64 oz.
(It's probably a choice that I made from not wanting anything to go to waste combined with a thought that the extra sugar needs an offset.)

**I downed the the initial water content... recipe calls for something close to 7 gallons, I have close to 4.5 gallons with everything in the carboy.

**I also added 5 Camden Tabs, by mistake...I later realized that DangerDave didn't add them upon initial mixing.

I haven't done the suggested procedures,

I should not have ranted, and I very humbly apoligize.

Wow sounds awesome! I added the other stuff to my batch for 1 reason only: came up short on sugar! I've promised myself to stick strictly to the recipe next time but still use the best value quad berry fruit as that's the only kind I can get at my Walmart.

triple berry port....done....lol
its great.

You did a fortified port, right James.

I'm planning to do chaptalization on mine. Essentially a Jack Keller/DangerDave Dragon Blood Port variation, like.

You get the idea. :h

yes it was a fortified port...
would be interested to see how yours goes with chaptalization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back