My harvest in College Grove, TN

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have got way more rain than we need here. I took this of my neighbors yard just across the street from me about an hour ago and it's still raining hard

IMG_6274.jpg

Waldo,

Remember last year we talked about getting a picture of you fishing in a mud bug hole? Now might be the time for that picture.

How are you and Kat doing?

Hope all is well

rick

20110522_213734_Marquette_clust.jpg
Here is a picture of Marquette, way ahead of everything else.
I'm thinking they will be ready around the 1st week of August!

20110522_213922_zinfandel.jpg

Zinfandel I planted this year is already out of the grow tubes.

Chard and Cab are above the top wire and I've started to hedge the vines this weekend.

Now I've got this little problem. This is only on Norton. Chardonnay and both Cabernets next to it do not show any signs of this.

New growth shows rust color with some showing a green outline. Older leaves are normal.

I suspect it is a nutrient problem. Norton does have some unusual nutrient requirements! Usually by this time I have given these vines three foliar nutrient sprays with epsom salt and nutripak. None this year.

Anyone seen this before? Any idea what it is?

20110607_214033_Norton_1.jpg

20110607_214118_Norton_2.jpg

It looks like 2-4d damage from a neighbor. It is contained in a lot of lawn weed and feed products. The curled leaves and finger like projections are typical of that.
20110608_064303_24dgrape.jpg

This is the year forcicada's, hatch happensevery 13th year.
Here are a couple of pics of them.The third pic is of the cut they make in the vine where theylay their eggs.Noreal damage to the vine, so theyare just a mildpest for a few weeks.
Dogs, cats, birds, fish, ---everythingeat them like crazy, reallystrange critters.

20110614_212753_Cicada_1.jpg

20110614_213029_Cicada_2.jpg

20110614_213122_Cicada_eggs.jpg

Ha, I was wondering what that was on my vines. I was afraid it was some disease. Thanks for sharing.

I remember the sound (noise really) of the Cicadas or Locust as we called them back then during the Summer months growing up down in South Texas. After awhile you got so used to that continual rise and fall of noise that you barely even noticed it!
smiley5.gif

Thanks goodness they don't seem to hurt the vines all that much!

Growing Degree Days:
This year 1600
Average 1282
Last year 1675

Catching up to last year. Quite a bit above average.
A threeweek drought and high temperatures have finally given way to rain and cooler temperatures.

Growing Degree Days are at 2455!!
Average year would be 2060

Marquette Grapes are at 22 Brix. Young vines and not a lot to pick, but they will start fermemt today.

Cabernet Franc are starting to change color.

I've been getting the rest of my vines netted. Just wondering what the rest of you do - how far ahead of harvest do you put netting out?

So far this year has been quite a bust. Wild life has taken everything as it has ripened.I'll be doing a lothunting and trapping and put up a fence this winter.
Guess I'll be doing a couple of kits this year.

I feel your pain. We at Blossom Ridge had the same issue this year. The birds stripped all 21 Marquette vines clean in early August. We quickly purchased a "Bird Gard" scare device from Orchard Valley Supply and so far most of the later maturing grapes are still hanging. The birds seem to have a preference for the "black" varieties - I'm thinking is due to greater visibility? Any who, if I want to produce a red wine this vintage I'll have to purchase some juice or grapes or kits too. Kinda disappointing isn't it?

Back