My harvest in College Grove, TN

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randoneur

Reaction score
New to the forum, thought I would share this years results.
All grapes are in now, so here are the results:

Chardonnay harvested August 17, 2010
3 gallons juice /Brix 21.5 / TA 5.4 / pH 3.3
Added tartaric to bring TA up to 7.0 g/l

Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc field blend harvested on September 10,2010
4 gallons juice / Brix 23.5 / TA 5.8 / pH 3.54

Norton harvested on September 13, 2010
3 gallons juice / Brix 25 (Brix 27.5 heated sample) / TA 11.0 / pH 3.68
Added tartaric to broughtpH to 3.57
Will add a little more today to target pH down to 3.5

Vidal Blanc harvested on September 14, 2010
6 gallons juice / Brix 24.5 / TA 6.8 / pH 3.29
(This one will be hot)

I hoping for a good vintage.

yes,....pictures.....and please some info about what you are doing...number of vines...soil type....pounds harvested...all that good stuff....and i repeat..pictures!

That's a nice selection of grapes you have. Do the vinifera hold up alright there in Tn to diseases and such?

I wish I was done picking for the year, but just got started on mine. We are almost done picking the colds hardy trial of 25 varieties- only seven left to pick. I will be brining home about 400 pounds of NY 76.0844.24 on Wed ( an unreleased NY variety from the grape breeding program). It is really extremely nice this year. It is a white muscat type - tremendous flavor 20 something brix, pH about 3.2 and TA about 8 g/L. I have about 4-5 tons of my own left to pick.

Pictures - I'll post thefew that I have when I get that resizer download done.

Soil - Clay churtwith limestone. Soft white limestones mixed in the clay down a couple of feet. These white stone clumps are easily broken up, so I think they are a good base for the vines. Soil is very poor and infertile butI never do any irrigation. Will start to add compost under the vines this fall and winter.

I'vehave the vines a 6 feet in the rows and row only 8 feet apart. Intentional to stress them a little since I'm not looking for harvest volume.
When each vine was planted I went in with a big post hole digger in the fall and put down a hole as deep a I could. Then put the new vine in the next spring. I never had to do any watering or irrigation with this method.

Next year I will do more leaf pull to open up 40% and do some light clusterthinning in hopes of getting a more even ripening.

I've finally developed a spray plan that is working fairly well and I have to spray the snot out of them. This year was not bad, I could go two weeks between sprays after bloom. I have to spray hybrids and vinifera the same, so hybrids may have more disease resistance in theory, but have no practicaladvantage over vinifera for me. When things get really dry here in August, I can quit the spray and let the vines ripen without the chemical on them at harvest.

I have about 100 vines. We had a very late killer frost afewyears ago and my vinifera vines were still very young, so I lost some.I also lost all of my NY73, but they were own rooted and suckered back. I've kind of been on hold while I decided whether to shift more to hybrids or shift to viniferas. Finally decided on going with more vinifera, soI'm in the process of filling back in for the vines that were frost killed. Plus I wanted to expand a little, so I planted Chardonnel and Marquette to see how they do.

This is roughly what I calculate from my harvest:
3 pail of grapes yield 6 gallons MUST.
6 gallons MUST yields
3+ gallons of white juice,
4+ gallons of red,
just 3 gallons of Norton juice.

9 Chardonnay vines - 3 pails of grapes, 6 vines 5 years old, 3 replanted this year.

9 Cabernet Sauvignon vines - 1 pail of grapes,5 vines 6 years old, 4 of the vines were replanted this year.

18 Cabernet Franc vines - 2 pails of grapes, 6 vines6 years old, 12 of the vines were replanted this year. 9 replace Merlot that were frosted out.

9 Norton vines - 3 pails of grapes

9NY73vines - Grapes lost to berry drop (always a problem) and critters.

12 Vidal vines - 7 pails of grapes, these vines are 8 years old

18 Chardonnel 3rd year vines - critters got every last grape

18 Marquette 2ndyear vines- pruned cluster out to let the vines develop one more year.

Challenges:
Black Rot, Japanese Beetles, Berry Moths,
Turkeys, Racoons, Deer
Frost, Heat, Drought, Hail, Rain
My temper

Of course, once the grapes are harvested, making the vinegar is easy.

Isn't this a loverly hobby. Good thing I'm retired and have a lot of time.

Here are a couple of pictures of my Cabernet Sauvignon at harvest:

20100921_174312_Cabernet_11.jpg

20100921_174710_Cabernet_21.jpg

20100921_175508_Cabernet_31.jpg

Here are a couple of my Norton just before Harvest:

20100921_175926_Norton_11.jpg

20100921_180318_Norton_22.jpg

Numbers look pretty good and the grapes look great!

Just goes to show you what a labor of love can do!

Bird netting - keeps the wildlife out. With out the netting I loose everything to the Crows, Turkeys, Racoons, and Deer. I ended up netting everything after I lost all of my Chardonnel to the Racoons.

Al - You probably havemore than they can possibly eat by the looks of it.

I probably need to start trapping like rrawhide does.

Those grapes look devine. Nice Job!

My Blossom Ridge Vineyard is sized @ 76 hybrid vines. I wish we had the growing degree days to have Cab Franc fully mature here in NE Indiana.

You were spot on with how to use the Zambelli water press. Thanks again for helping out.

You'll find that the folks on this forum are extremely friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable.

I wish you much success with your vineyard & this years vintage.

P.S. the only thing I don't like about the ENO3 crusher is the weanie plastic crank handle. Wonder if the offer an upgraded metal version?

Grapes are happily bubbling away in the fermenter, today there's a very good wind, so time for a break....

20100922_191104_1124.jpg

I started the day back there somewhere about 15 miles ago. Not another soul on the lake today.

20100922_191550_1244.jpg

Not grapes, but lots of fun. This is Kentucky Lake, the shoreline on the right is Land Between The Lakes National Park.

All very nice pics, its amazing how much different grapes look when you are in love with them! Years ago i would of said wow, great sarcastically, now im drooling! :)

Norton resting in carboy.

TheCabernet is still going through MLF.

TheVidalisnearing the end of fermentation. Ready to rack off of lees. Has intense fruity aroma as result of cold fermentation.

Chardonnay resting on light lees.
I found an old turn table to put under the Chardonnay so that I can stir lees without opening the carboy up. Works quite well.

20101011_091409_HPIM0432_800x60.jpg

Latest posts

Back