My First real Chance

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Engel

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

After 3 years… the vineyard with my humble store bought Merlot vines is giving me what I’ve only visioned in my head. The past 2 years, I was able to attempt a batch that was so small, I only got 1 bottle out of it. Looking not so this year! Im pretty sure I finally have all the equipment needed. There is so much information out there regarding home wine making, it’s really overwhelming. I have the book “From Vines to Wines” by Jeff Cox. Is there anything else or any advice to help me through my real first year of wine making that you wished you’d have known or had? I’m paranoid about blowing this first year and having the wife tell me what a waste of time and garden space it is. 🫤
Dave

IMG_3542.jpegIMG_3541.jpegIMG_3540.jpeg

Tools?? On your first year, a milk crate can be used as a destemer, I run fruit through a snow cone machine (from StVinnies) as a crusher. A press takes some work, mine is a reverse bar clamp. Grapes are hard to do but in the old days Mom would do concord in a flour sack hanging over a crockery bowl.

There isn’t anything as good as experience.

Nice looking grapes. How many vines do you have?

Here is where Craig’s List or Facebook Marketplace are your friends. I’ve found thousands of dollars worth of wine making equipment for the home winemaker for a few hundred bucks.

If you put a milk crate in a food grade tub (good idea @Rice_Guy) you could fill it with grapes and crush them with a piece of 2x4. You typically don’t need to remove all the stems. You can ferment in any food grade bucket or trash can with a loose fitting lid. For secondary you should have a variety of glass containers that you can fit with an airlock. Hoses and a racking cane are cheap… or you can get by with just the hose.

If you haven’t already you need to get two hydrometers (you will break them). Next I would spring for a pH meter.

Congratulations! The only thing I wish I’d had my first real harvest was a little more patience to pick a week or two later when I think they would have been at a better level of ripeness. I was a little too excited with my white grapes, though my reds were being devoured by wasps and bees so they kind of decided for me. Last year I had to harvest early because raccoons were eating everything, though the wine ended up great. This year I wanted to wait another week but noticed that a good portion of my clusters were overripe or had some kind of rot so I was again forced to adapt and pick last Friday.

Otherwise just relax, keep things clean, sanitary, and topped up, and try to have a good time. I do spontaneous/ambient ferments and don’t add sulfites as a stylistic choice. I was pretty nervous my first year but don’t stress anymore. If I can do that, you should be just fine.

The only thing I wish I’d had my first real harvest was a little more patience to pick a week or two later when I think they would have been at a better level of ripeness. I was a little too excited with my white grapes, though my reds were being devoured by wasps and bees
Usually waiting a bit more helps. On everything. I have been amazed how much better the last peaches from a tree are or this year how the astringent in aronia was less after vacation.
There is a shattering trait (dropping off) in some plants so if the Edelweiss grape or gooseberry are falling to the ground they get picked.

Cynewulf said:
“wanted to wait another week but noticed that a good portion of my clusters were overripe or had some kind of rot so I was again forced to adapt and pick last Friday.”

WOW… Are our growing seasons ever different! I won’t be harvesting for another month!

I have at least 30 of these big giant clusters and another 20+ smaller ones, and all from only 6 vines that produced this year. My entire endeavor has been by propagating one vine that I mail ordered 4 years ago, so next year I’ll hopefully have 8 vines producing. The good wife has put a limit on my space. 😆 But if I can get this going… we’re talking 15+ bottles a year.

Thanks for everyone’s input, I appreciate it. 👍😀

Dave

Cynewulf said:
“wanted to wait another week but noticed that a good portion of my clusters were overripe or had some kind of rot so I was again forced to adapt and pick last Friday.”

WOW… Are our growing seasons ever different! I won’t be harvesting for another month!

I have at least 30 of these big giant clusters and another 20+ smaller ones, and all from only 6 vines that produced this year. My entire endeavor has been by propagating one vine that I mail ordered 4 years ago, so next year I’ll hopefully have 8 vines producing. The good wife has put a limit on my space. 😆 But if I can get this going… we’re talking 15+ bottles a year.

Thanks for everyone’s input, I appreciate it. 👍😀

Dave
Sorry, I maybe should have mentioned those were hybrids I harvested last week, which tend to ripen earlier. My vinifera is probably another 3-4 weeks from being ready. Good luck!

From Vines to Wines is a good book for the “fork to table” guy and gal making wine, and I have it. You will get great advice right here also.

Let us know your location or put it in your profile, it really affects the kind of wine you can make. Let those Merlot grapes get ripe is my advice

Hi All,

I suppose I can close out this thread with a report. This report does take into account my rookie mistakes. 😳 I ended up with about 100 clusters that weighed in at about 55 pounds and produced about 6 gallons of must which should turn into roughly 3.9 gallons of juice if all goes well. NO guarantees about the quality of anything… 😆 (remember 1st timer here). Primary fermentation is on its 3rd day, all is working as it should.

Dave

Back