My 2 Year Anniversary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

Reaction score
Today, give or take a few days, marks the end of my second year and the beginning of my third year of making wine at home.

I don't say this to brag, it is just the way it is... One of the things as I look back is that I've not made a wine that I didn't like at least some. This would be from having done ~15 kits and 5 DB 6 gallon batches. The wine I liked the least was a White Zinfandel from MM and the best, so far, an RJS WS Cab. Sav. I'm looking forward to even more success this coming year.

So, how long have you been at it? Any real bad batches that were beyond rescue and had to be poured down the drain?

I was just looking at that myself, seeing I started 6/13, so about a year and a half. Not sure which would be my best, I've enjoyed a WE Chilean Malbec, really like the WE Meza Luna, and surprisingly love the WE Pinot Gris. Worst, I made a gallon from fresh maple syrup from the hills of Knapp, WI. Still waiting for that to come around....

Congrats on your two years! Is there a pin or token or something? I just want to know what to expect when I get there :)

I just started earlier this year so I don't have any wine old enough to be called bad...yet:)

I just started earlier this year...

So, last week? :D

I'm coming up on my third anniversary. Hard to believe. My least favorites are probably among my first four batches. Two of them were Vino Italiano kits (Barolo and Cab). Another was the CC Showcase Old Vine Zinfandel. While there was nothing wrong with the VI wines (they are actually pretty good, considering the cost), they were just too light for my taste and not all that great. The Old Vine Zin I still have about 9 bottles of. To this day, I'm not sure what went wrong, but there is the tiniest bit of gas left in it and I'm convinced that has prevented it from being all it can be. It is almost 3 years old now. I opened a bottle two weeks ago and had two glasses - meh. Still something not right. I capped it with my VacuVin and let it sit for 3 days. It was much, much better at that point. The other of my first 4 was the original Dragon Blood recipe. That one is long gone. :sm

Favorites? I have a few: Red Mountain Cabernet, 2013 CA Grand Red, 2012 Red Mountain Trio, Eclipse Sauv Blanc, Winery Series Super Tuscan.

[So, last week? :D

Jim, that is the kind of comment I expect from Sour Grapes, not you... :)

Guilty as charged, your honor. :slp

I started about 18 mos. ago. I am with Jim, in that it took me about 4 kits to get my process down. I started with a CC Sterling Merlot, which was not thoroughly degassed, so same results as Jim's OVZ. The Mezza Luna that came next is okay, but will never be a world beater. The next two kits, an Old Vine Zin and an Amarone, are a bit thin because of some confusion on my part regarding the true sizes of my carboys (=> too much water). I am more hopeful for the batches since then!

Congratulations on your two year winemaking anniversary.

I also am enjoying a two year anniversary. Two years ago almost to the day, I began my chemo treatments for lymphoma. I hope to be around many more years to continue my winemaking. I made countless batches as an amateur and have been making wine in my own winery for 5 crushes now.

I also am enjoying a two year anniversary. Two years ago almost to the day, I began my chemo treatments for lymphoma. I hope to be around many more years to continue my winemaking. I made countless batches as an amateur and have been making wine in my own winery for 5 crushes now.

I sincerly hope you have many many more anniversaries to celebrate.

Does a "crush" equate to a year?

OK, that is something to celebrate! Congratulations and let's add a zero to the end of that 2.

In March I will be moving into my 3rd year. Seems like a lot of us started near the same time. What caused that?

I made a peach that was bad. As far as I know it is or was. The airlock went dry for an extended time so I have not looked at in in over a year.

I did have a gallon of it that I mixed with peach brandy. Last I tried it, it was bad, May be ok now.

I also made a strawberry early on. It was terrible but now I got to admit, it has a strong strawberry taste. I guess for strawberry it is pretty good.

Whatever you do, don't let your wife see this post. The word "anniversary" (as I have learned) has a specific meaning to wives. I won't try to translate the terms of that meaning, except to note that it involves pain in the event of failed memory.

This discussion thread got me thinking about "badges" and how there seems to be a serious (and perhaps valuable) move afoot to make use of "badges" to signify demonstrable competencies both within and outside of the "academe". I wonder if forums like this might consider issuing such "badges" to members whose wine making and/or knowledge and advice is held in sufficient esteem by fellow members. I have no stake in the badge movement other than to know that it exists and that in my opinion, it may become as significant as college credits in the next 25 years...
http://openbadges.org/

My 2 year anniversary will be next month! We should start a club-lol! I have made 2 bad wines...one came around and it's a fave with lots of our friends another one...coastal red is just not to my taste. I have a white that was a great Sauvignon Blanc going bad after 6 months not sure what's up with that one...I'm gonna keep watching it and see. But all have been fun and exciting!

For us it has been 2 years and 1 month and 36 batches. All have been kits except for one batch of Skeeter Pee and one batch of Dragon Blood. No bad batches so far. Several of our favorites are Island Mist kits (exotic fruit white zin, strawberry white merlot and white cranberry Pinot Gris )

My wife and I are empty nesters. We were looking for something we could enjoy doing together and we had always talked about making wine. So for our anniversary two years ago I bought her a wine making kit. It came in a big box that I wrapped with a big bow. I have a bit of a rep for gag gifts so she didn't know what to make of this giant box. You should have seen her face when she started opening the box. The first thing out of the box was the carboy which she thought was a water bottle. Next came the giant plastic primary fermenting bucket. It wasn't until she found the juice kit in the bottom of the box that she figured out what was going on. It was great fun. We've been having a blast ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Congrats to all. I am simply amazed by your batches:years ratios. Dhaynes, for example has 36 batches over two years!!! That equates to 1.5 batches a month!!! Simply fantastic!!!

I guess that it is true, that the "winemaking bug" has very long fangs that are impossible to remove once they have been sunk into you!!!

So, here is what I advise......

Tonight, it will be cold and new snow will be on the ground (at least where I live). So I want you folks to light a fire and open a bottle of your best stuff. Then ease into your favorite chair, relax, and enjoy the benefits of your hard work!

There is no better way to enjoy your anniversary.

Tonight, it will be cold and new snow will be on the ground (at least where I live). So I want you folks to light a fire and open a bottle of your best stuff. Then ease into your favorite chair, relax, and enjoy the benefits of your hard work!

Well, OK. But only because you said to. :)

Congrats to all. I am simply amazed by your batches:years ratios. Dhaynes, for example has 36 batches over two years!!! That equates to 1.5 batches a month!!! Simply fantastic!!!

I guess that it is true, that the "winemaking bug" has very long fangs that are impossible to remove once they have been sunk into you!!!

So, here is what I advise......

Ok. Ohmmmm

April will mark my 2nd year in this obsessi...err, hobby. Out of the 17 batches, I've yet to make a kit r juice bucket >.> mostly made meads, some have been pure ambrosia, others...not so much, lol. Worst one is still aging, hoping it drops the vegetal taste, eventually. That batch of wildflower was pretty dark, I think it had an excess of buckwheat in the mix :p I have high hopes for a peach melomel that is soooo very close to being clear and smells divine. Samples taste great, too!

Latest posts

Back