muscadine wine too dry?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmmc

Junior
Reaction score
made my first batch of muscadine wine from my home grown grapes about two years ago.tried a bottle about six months later & it was pretty good but thought it needed to age a while longer.tried another bottle today & wife & i both agreeded it was way too dry.followed instructions to a T including sterlizing anything that could come in contact with the wine.where did i go wrong?i have sampled same wine from friends & theirs was great.have read that muscadine wine should be sweet.

Add a little simple syrup to a glass and see if you like it. Some sugar in muscadine is the norm in my neck of the woods.

Bmmc, we agree it probably needs to be sweetened. Try some bench tests, look for finished SG of 1.005-1.115 more important is your taste. Then when you find your "sweet spot " you'll know to add say an once, or whatever, of simple sugar to your wine as you decant it. Roy

And next time, if you decide to sweeten before you bottle, DO NOT sweeten without stablizing. If you do, that is a good recipe for bottle bombs. Arne.

Since your wine is bottled this is what I would do. Mix up some simple syurp (equal parts cane sugar and water) heat it on the stove till all the sugar is dissolved pour it in a squeez bottle and keep it on the fridge. When you open a bottle of wine add a Tbs of the syrup and taste add more if needed, this is the easiest way.

where did i go wrong?

Technically, you didn't go wrong anywhere. It sounds like you fermented your wine dry, then bottled, therefore getting a dry wine. Next time, backsweeten before bottling.

In the meantime, do as others have recommended, sweeten after opening a bottle.

Latest posts

Back