Muscadine variant recipe/ What do you suggest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevenal

Reaction score
Wife wants to make grape juice with extra 30 plus pounds of frozen red and bronze muscadines.
Hard for me to do that, with waiting for fall to make grape wine and all.
Can some of you folks suggest some fruit mix variants or style variants for these grapes.
They have been throughly washed, De-stemmed, sorted and frozen.
My primary will be freed up in a week of so and It just don't sit with me right to make juice.
Can easily fill the old 5gal Electric Water Co. carboy I scored for $10 today.
Really like cranberry and have a gal of that going already to back sweeten one carboy of Muscadine now underway.
I have some cleaned and frozen pears but they were not terribly ripe. The kind perfect for apple pies.
Perhaps a Mead or combo fruit in the primary.
Perhaps some Pom juice or apple with some toasted oak or something?
You guys know I am a total Green Bean to the wine making obsession.
With this in mind I have very limited artistic ability when it come to versatility of ingredients. Oh, I do have some fresh seasonal Fig/Lemon/Basil jam could that be a component.
Really open to some ideas here and in no particular hurry.
Thanks a bunch as always.

Last edited:
muscadine and pears go together good they provide juice muscadines provide flavor

With 30+ pounds of muscadines, you have enough to make a 5 gallon batch without blending unless you just want to have a combination wind.

Blend for a different vintage

Yes that is the idea. I have a enough to fill two carboys now from the one hundred lb my wife and I last picked. So Idid not want to duplicate that wine.
As I have stated In another thread I also have a one gallon bottle of cranberry going.
Sirs brings up a good point here, I could shoot for a four gallon must and after racking to the secondary then add the one gallon of cranberry.
Well no hurry as our primary is still full at this time and the 30 lbs are frozen.
There is also possibility of going and picking another 20lbs or so? Lol

Please keep your ideas coming as it is a good opportunity to make a special vintage to expand our almost non existent collection.

Thanks again

hey it never hurts to play around with mixtures just try small samples first to get an idea what they taste like.

Still Open to IDEAS here

Nothing really jumping out at me.
If anyone has an idea of what they would do with 30 lbs of Muscadines
post it, I have enough of the straight up Grape wine going.

thats my thinking also, guess we just like to make sure there's plenty of body and such lol

agreed

thats why I'm asking about an additional item to round out the batch

The 18 gal of Must going now will yield 13 gal of wine - that was derived from 100# of bronze and red

Back