Noble muscadine grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark3636

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys I picked a five gallon bucket full of noble muscadine Sunday morning. Amazon was supposed to have delivered the pectic enzyme that my recipe calls for on Sunday. The shipment has been delayed. I washed them all off today and put them in grocery bags and added to the fridge. I can go get the pectic enzyme locally tomorrow. Are theses grapes gonna be ok to make some muscadine wine if I crush them tomorrow and start primary fermentation. Not in it for any taste awards but don’t want to wait 8 weeks to find out my wine is poison. I’m new to this and from what I read leaving in a five gallon bucket at 71 degrees in my house is a bad idea. When I sorted them most do have a stem scar but all of them are nice and tight not soft like they are starting to go bad. Thanks for any information.

Attachments

• 5D481BFF-ABC1-4566-B537-1BDA427D4F26.jpeg
    5D481BFF-ABC1-4566-B537-1BDA427D4F26.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
The muscadines should be fine in the fridge for a few days; however, you will want to freeze them if it's gonna be much longer. Freezing is my choice for storage until the harvest is over because the freezing will rupture the cell walls and you'll actually get more juice. Of course, you'll have to allow time for thawing when starting your recipe. Hope this helps.

Hey guys I picked a five gallon bucket full of noble muscadine Sunday morning. Amazon was supposed to have delivered the pectic enzyme that my recipe calls for on Sunday. The shipment has been delayed. I washed them all off today and put them in grocery bags and added to the fridge. I can go get the pectic enzyme locally tomorrow. Are theses grapes gonna be ok to make some muscadine wine if I crush them tomorrow and start primary fermentation. Not in it for any taste awards but don’t want to wait 8 weeks to find out my wine is poison. I’m new to this and from what I read leaving in a five gallon bucket at 71 degrees in my house is a bad idea. When I sorted them most do have a stem scar but all of them are nice and tight not soft like they are starting to go bad. Thanks for any information.
How did it come out? I have made muscadine wine from noble grapes a few times and had excellent results. Last time I picked 120lb of grapes, crushed them and pressed them off the same day. I was taught to never ferment a white muscadine on the skins. We used some peptic during the ferment. It was cloudy and greasy slick must. I used bentonite to clear it all up and it did an excellent job. I love muscadine wine but it is tough making it, more steps, etc. Even though I live in coastal SC and muscadine growers are everywhere, there is not a single source for fresh pressed juice. I wish there were because if done right, it makes superb wine.

Latest posts

Back