Muscadine juice turned brown instantly

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB

Reaction score
Crushed two five gallon batches of muscadines night before last and added k-meta and pectic enzyme. Instantly, the juice turned brown as soon as I stirred in the chemicals. Covered and left until last night when I stirred vigorously and pitched Red Star Montrachet wine yeast. SG is 1.085. Has not started and the juice is still brown. No bad smell but not appealing at all.

What could have caused this to turn brown instantly as soon as I added the chemicals? The measurements were as instructed by manufacturer.

Is this batch ruined? Should I wait, possibly adding more yeast or just let it sit for a while?

i've read a couple of posts similar and things do clear up. i did get a similar thing with my chardonnel. it's still pretty murky after racking today, but i know it will clear. on the yeast starting, can u hear anything? i noticed that before any major bubbling on a few batches. keep us updated!

It's the K-meta. Don't worry about it the taste will not be affected.

I had the same question and worries about a week ago. Don't worry mine cleared up nice and is a good looking blush color and going stron.

Color has returned and both are working nicely. Everything turned out good on this one. Glad I didn't throw it out. :)

good thing I know you got such a limited supply LOL

I crushed another 5 gallon today darks this time those big ones

Reminds me of the movie Bottle Shocked. The Chardonay turned brown because it was made "too perfect" but it cleared up in time for the competition.

Even with a few left in the freezer, I would have hated to have lost this. Never knew it would turn brown on me. Scared me to death...Well, almost anyway. LOL

Back